Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you smell a nearby deer??

Old 11-24-2003, 08:22 PM

Default Can you smell a nearby deer??

i swear i am not a native american, nor do i believe i have a sixth sense or anything like that..... but i can smell deer before i see them. my younger brother can too. it' s really weird because i just noticed it in the last couple of years.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you smell a nearby deer??

I never have been able to but I have two hunting buddies that swear they can!

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:44 PM

Yes, you can. Especially if there is snow or wet ground and the air is fairly still. Actually, I read an old book once that stated that the native americans used this as part of their hunting skills, and once when a white hunter was being led to a moose they were tracking by a native american, the guide said " He got up and is moving" . When asked how he knew this the guide said that he could smell him (the underside has more scent and if they lay down on damp ground they will smell more when they get up.

Good Luck!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 11-24-2003, 10:03 PM

I have always felt like I could smell deer aometimes when I am in the woods. I have never seen deer just before or after i smell it though. Maybe they are nearby I just cant see them??
Old 11-25-2003, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed it more in the last couple years too. I' ve spooked deer on the walk in during the morning and can smell where they ran for a couple minutes after they' ve run off. I notice it a lot more though at this time of year with then rut scent coming from their urine stained hocks.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:21 AM

Yeah you can smell them .... at least a buck you can stinky stinky stinky [:-]
Old 11-25-2003, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

I' m ith the buck in rut thing smell the hocks of one thats been shot to get the smell down. Than pay attention to the smells around you. It takes concsious effort but you can do it. Of course deer have to be around for it to work so be patient.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:37 AM

TLB; Maybe your part lab I agree with BuckSecrets when it is wet out the smell will be alittle stronger, kind of like a wet dog type deal.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

i have smelled them before, especially right before the peak of the rut
Old 11-25-2003, 01:54 PM

Yea...I' ve do a lot of scouting right after rains and damp mornings. You can really smell where there were bedding also, if there is any scrapes you can smell good as well. Plus wet ground see the tracks better. Just a thought for everyone.

Quick Reply: Can you smell a nearby deer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.