Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer calls?/?

Old 11-24-2003, 03:32 PM

Default deer calls?/?

i have heard of useing antlers to get a deer to move too your spot but what about a primos doe and buckcaller ?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:23 PM

Default RE: deer calls?/?

I use antlers to call in bucks but it never seems to work. i also use my grunter and my primos can. Sometimes the can will call in some does and smaller bucks but nothing significant.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer rattling and calling will work under the right Rutting times. Too much calling can work against you
Old 11-25-2003, 08:40 PM

i have had some deer come to the primos can but my best luck is a buck grunt.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 PM

Rattling deer works best early in the morning. Rattle for 30 mins and do it in 1-3 min intervals. Then stop and wait 10-20 mins. Works best when there is 75% clear cloud cover. During the pre-rut use long, loud rattling sequences to attract wide ranging bucks. Peak rut, when the bucks are most active, use short, loud rattling sequences. During post-rut use quiet, long rattling sequences. Bucks are not as aggressive after the rut and don' t travel as much, give them time to respond.
Bucks come to the rattling to see whats going on and/or to kick some arse.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

By far the best calling technique I have used is rattling and grunting combos during the rut phases. 1 min intervals followed by a 15 minute break, tending grunts and a 10 minutes break into a rattling sequence. When rattling I have found tinkling and grinding works better than smashing and I also rustle leaves, rake trees and stomp on the ground to add realism, I hunt from the ground. If you treestand hunt raking of tree limbs and low toned grunts work ok as well. The key to calling/rattling is set yourself up in an area that deer can' t or don' t want to circle down wind, swamps/lakes etc make for an excellent backdrop with your wind blowing across them. If you have to give up a wind side in cover use doe or buck scent to try and mask your scent, I will place the scent out in a half moon upwind of my location and one downwind if required to encompass my location, I usually hang them as far as possible from me but in a shooting lane at 18-36" from the ground. Look to set up close to bedding areas on draws, ridges, funnels or rubline travel routes in deep transition to those bedding areas, safety is a key element to connecting on bucks or deer in general. Be attentive and watch the back door, I have had bucks come in loud n' proud and other sneak in sheepish. Any sound you hear key in on but don' t become locked on it as deer will often break a branch and then move cautios and quitely, I move minimally being on the ground and pan with my eyes continousily. Be prepared to shoot and know your ranges and limitations prior to starting to call. Don' t over call and be patient, it ain' t fool proof but can work very well in the right place and time.

Using a doe bleat or grunt by itself has worked for me in the past but I prefer to use a call on visuals vs blind, because it gives the deer a pinpoint on your location. I don' t believe a call and even rattling will draw a buck to your area, you must find an area they are in and feel comfortable than use the calls to your beneift...not a magic trick it takes time, scouting, preperation, experience and patience to be successful. BTW it don' t work all the time even in good spots, I truly believe more deer are not seen than seen, but when it does it is a thrill and worth the effort.