Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Sask rattled out bucks - not huge but still a thrill! >

Sask rattled out bucks - not huge but still a thrill!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sask rattled out bucks - not huge but still a thrill!

Old 11-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sask rattled out bucks - not huge but still a thrill!

Back from a week in the bush hunting moose. We ended up harvesting 3 calf moose and no bulls, come friday I was ready for a change and decided to hunt whitetails. The group had taken a few decent whitetails during the week and the rut was on in the forest, knowing this I decided the best bet would be watching willow/pines ridges in the morning and try rattling the swamps areas during mid day. Friday morning was cold and deer were moving however never saw anything I wanted to tag. I made my way to a swamp surrounded by pines this area I scouted out previously and noticed lots of rubs and trails leading from the pines which indicated bedding areas for the bucks. Setting up with a perfect NW wind I began rattling and instantly drew out a 4x4 I figured would go 130, being the second last day I thought and was tempted to use my forest only buck tag but decided to hold off. He moved along looking for the scuffle and then disappeared into the dark pines. At 12:30 I just put down the antlers when I noticed a dark bodied deer entering from the NE side he skirted the pines and willows not offering a glimpse or a shot, he stopped and tore up a willow bush, I grabbed my horns and started to tinkle followed by a grunt and appeared a heavy but shorter 5x5 frame was shown I looked only long enough to decide he' s the one and quickly switched the safety off and pulled piling him up with one shot from the 7 rem mag at 150 yards. While he isn' t a huge deer he had mass and character and ended up scoring 156/ 5/8 (largely based on his mass and big brows). Saturday about an hour later and 1 1/2 mile away we took the second buck by doing the same thing. This deer was heavy in the battles, showing war wounds on his hams, front end, neck and a puncture wound in the stomach area - the bruising and yellow tinge covered his entire body.

All in all not a bad trip, I had dreams of a big whitetail or moose and ended up with a couple of decent bucks and some tasty meat.

Hope the pics work!

Old 11-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sask rattled out bucks - not huge but still a thrill!

Not sure why the second didn' t take but here he is! I appologize about the quality due to the 30 KB requirement!

Old 11-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

FABULOUS!!! congratulations!!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:15 AM

nice looking deer.. congrats.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice going, skeeter. Sorry to hear you didn' t get any bulls, but those are some fine looking bucks!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:07 AM

where is the picture of the 150 class deer
Old 11-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, sorry about the crappy photo' s.

th, the first deer. Actually the second deer does as well but in the gross, he nets low 140 due to broken brow and difference on tines. BTW, I only taped after the others in camp did and I came out close but lower so that is the score I have placed in my photo album.