Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I missed

Old 11-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I missed

i missed a 6 pointer this thursday three shots i took at him cause he would not move.... come to find out my gun was 5 inches off to the righjt i was not a happy camper....and it has been running through my mind ever since but all i can do is laugh....he was at 65 yards...
Old 11-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Missing goes with the territory when using the shotguns. Proud to say I have never missed with the rifle but I have debarked some pines with the shotgun. Keep your chin up cause that way you' ll see your next chance.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:55 PM

Killed a few trees in my time,hang in there it' s all part of hunting.

Joe
Old 11-24-2003, 07:30 AM

I thought you guys never missed!

I carry 1 shell with me. Thats all I need, I have never missed but if I do I am not about to fire more rounds off.
My Grandpappy said it best , " If you think that you need more than one shot , what you really need is more target practice"
Just stirring the pot, I' ve never done that before!

We all miss, when we don' t concentrate we should pray that God guides your arrow/bullet completely away from the deer, make a clean kill or a complete miss.

Greg
Old 11-24-2003, 08:31 AM

WOW. . . .still new to hunting, old guy from the city, 3 seasons now but catching on. I never have hunted in a place where you use shotguns for Deer but I understand why. With a long gun a miss is when he does not drop right on the spot. Yea, I have missed before, he ran 50 yards and folded, a double lung shot, a pulled a bit hard on the trigger and sure enough I shot right about 3 inches. The sweet spot of any Deer is a pretty darn big target. If you can' t hit a pie plate sized target you need more practice, walking or not. Put in those hours at the range.

Shooting at a runner makes all of us look a bit desperate and gives the ANTIS more gas.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:21 PM

I missed the first two I shot at - a caribou one fall and then a year later, a deer. Both I shot over them because I thought the bullet would drop a foot (about 100 - 150 yard shots w/ 30-06). I hadn' t shot a rifle, except for sighting in, after a lifetime of bird shooting, so I guess that explains my ignorance. The guys I sighted in with didn' t explain any of this to me, but my fault for being ignorant. But at least both were clean misses, so no harm, no foul?

After the second miss, my partner told me that rifle bullets don' t drop that much at 100-200 yards and to just aim at the boiler room. Next day, I nailed one! And haven' t missed since (seriously, I haven' t, but I' m ultra conservative at taking shots - probably to a fault, and have practiced a lot since then) -zeke
Old 11-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I missed too, the buck of a lifetime. So of the old timers saw him earlier in the week and I got shot at him Sat. It was a quick shot on a path and I flat out missed.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:06 PM

Wlee guys sorry to hear all of the misses; But I can say that I have never missed. My bullets or arrows always hit, just sometimes not where I wanted them to, like in trees or the ground.
I just had to say that.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If we didn' t miss every once and a while it wouldn' t be called hunting,it would be called KILLING...