HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunter Kills White Albino Buck - pic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/43972-hunter-kills-white-albino-buck-pic.html)

Russ otten 11-21-2003 06:19 PM

RE: Hunter Kills White Albino Buck - pic

One more vote against you. If that deer crossed in front of my stand, it would get dropped, that is if I could hold my gun steady enough. I' d have the worst case of buck fever. And if I did drop it, you could hear me in the next county. After 70 years, I have yet to see even a piebald, let alone a full albino. The stepson has one on his hunting land. (And has a video of it, an eight point.) It' s a chance like that that keeps me going.

Russ

JeramyK 11-21-2003 06:27 PM

If it' s legal I' d take it. ;)

young_gun 11-21-2003 06:34 PM

i dont know too many people that wouldnt shoot it. i sure in heck would thats a trophy in my book,and probably many others too, a deers a deer like has already been stated. I dont get why anyone wouldnt shoot it, why not shoot it and charish it other than let it die of disease,another hunter, or a car, or a different predator and only have pictures?why not have it mounted for all to see?

willtill 11-21-2003 06:56 PM

Yep, a rare deer isn' t necessarily a genetically healthy deer. Let' s manage deer responsibly for the good of the population.
Now is that bordering on racism or what? [>:] :D

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

Goodguy 11-21-2003 07:20 PM

Bigbulls (et al)

Obviously my values and the rest of your' s on this issue are a 180 degrees out of sync. As for your definition of " fair chase" , the key word there is " ethical" and if you think that' s ethical then so be it - it' s just not mine. You refer to the deer' s hearing, sight, etc, with all due respect these are senses which all animals have you and me included - they' re not really defences - there is a difference. As for how long I' ve been hunting - well my youngest son has been hunting for nearly 30 years so you see that makes me a pretty old hunter (like Russ otten up there, only with different values). I guess I can take some solice in the fact that at least some legislators agree with me by making it illegal in some states but I guess they' re probably non-hunters that don' t understand " fair chase" either - maybe like the idiot(s) eastwood there is talking about.

Anyways, thanks for all the responses, well at least for the objective and serious ones - flippint and insulting comments are not really necessary to make a point. It' s interesting that almost to a person y' all see this as a very cut & dried issue and that (so far) no one sees it the way I do. gg

KoBear 11-21-2003 07:27 PM

I wouldnt shoot it if it was illegal for the state i am in. this is just one more reason that you NEED to know the laws of the state that you are hunting in.

SWOSUMike 11-21-2003 07:31 PM

Hey, Goodguy,
You did ask if you were off base in your original post. So everyone told you that you were a little off base, and you became defensive. Everyone else is right when they say there' s nothing wrong with taking a white deer. It really is a genetic defect. Good ethics would actually say to shoot the deer and reduce those defects in the herd.

Think of this, too. That' s a big deer, and before too long his molars were going to start wearing thin, and he' d be unable to properly digest food, anyway, causing him to starve to death. What a waste! Might as well bag ' em.

So is it wrong to shoot a brown deer when there' s a blanket of snow on the ground? What about a duck out of the blue sky?

KoBear 11-21-2003 07:35 PM

or yellow fish in a brown barrel??

Goodguy 11-21-2003 07:42 PM

swosumike
I wasn' t going to bother with another post on this thread but you make an interesting comment....and..... maybe the reason he got so old was because hunters prior to this fellow chose not to shoot:) gg.

PAhunter86 11-21-2003 07:42 PM

Albinos are nothing different from regular deer, its just a genetic mutation that causes a lack of pigment. I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, getting an albino deer mounted is a great way of preserving it:D