Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who uses iron sights

Old 02-05-2002, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who uses iron sights

I have shot iron sights exclusively for years and love them, I have shot both peep and notch and post, I am not sure which I prefer though the gun I had the peep sight on burnt up in a house fire. My eyes are starting to go a bit so I may eventually try a scope though.

The Tazman
Old 02-05-2002, 06:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2002, 10:51 PM

Greets,
Counting my Muzzle loader, I own 4 rifles and only my 30-06 is scoped. Till this last year I had never hunted anything but open sights. I will always love my Iron sight guns, and while there was a time I could hit anything I could see within the reasonable range of a properly sighted rifle, my sight is not up to the task these days, so I fell prey to the mag of a scope this year, and will probably use it for hunting most always now. I still on occasion hunt my open sight rifles, my muzzleloader especially, and my .22 is still open sight, but my ranges are limited to 100 yards or less.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-06-2002, 01:22 AM

I used to use iron sights but now only use scoped rifles. No matter what some say, scopes are much more effective than iron sights. If you can't find an animal in a scope then you haven't shot that rifle very much. A well practiced shot can find a deer quickly in a scope set at 10X no matter what the range, even as close as 10 ft. I know, I've done it.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

boltman I have just one question, okay you see brown fur or white fur in your scope, how do you tell what part of the deer it is?

The Tazman
Old 02-06-2002, 07:07 AM

A well practiced shot can find a deer quickly in a scope set at 10X no matter what the range, even as close as 10 ft. I know, I've done .

While you getting him in the scope I will be firing. I havnt missed a deer with my slug gun in 14 years. And we have unlimited Doe tags in our county so i've shot quite a few.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:48 AM

Best of both worlds.

A couple of years back I put 4x scope on my slug gun.
Shot gun slugs only here in Ohio.
I used one those high mounting set-ups that allows me to look underneath and use the iron sites. I have the scope set about 3 inches high at 50 yards, and dead on at 100.
Less then that, I just look underneath and use the iron sites. I could not be happier with this setup. While hunting, I’ve fired three shots with this set-up, and dropped three deer.
They where about 30, 65, and 100 yards. The scope is handy, and I tend to use it in place of my binoculars. I’ll never go back.

On the other side of the coin, for my black powder its iron sites only. But, that’s just the principle of the thing. I have yet to get a shot on a deer with it. Maybe if I miss a couple of shots my principles will change.

Old 02-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a scope but, My grandfather and father both use iron sight(post and notch). And they don't miss many and still get big ones every year. They're really good shots.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 02-06-2002, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor has an 8mm Mauser with peep sights, he took a deer last year at 527 yards, and a coyote a week ago at 463, both sighted and measured with laser rangefinder. Not doing too bad I wouldn't say.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:57 PM

I only use open sights on my muzzleloader. It isn't legal to use a scope with a muzzleloader here where I hunt. I have killed deer with open sights but would much rather use scope.

Quick Reply: Who uses iron sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.