Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer myths

Old 11-13-2003, 11:10 AM
jec

Default Deer myths

What are some deer myths that you have heard that are false. Things that will keep you out of the woods, but really aren' t true?

1.] For example, I' ve always heard that when it is real hot deer won' t be out. ...... Two weeks ago while driving to my stand to bow hunt, I saw a buck and doe breeding on the side of the road at 3:00 in the afternoon and it was 92 degrees.
And I' ve always heard that deer won' t be out much if it is very windy, and I' ve seen deer on real windy days.

??
Old 11-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer myths

I was always told that the smart bucks send the does out first to get shot before they head out. Turns out that the does are always first because the bucks are chasing the does.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

For every rule there are exceptions and deer hunting is no different. I love to still hunt real windy days, sometimes you can get right on top of deer. On hot days, deer got to have water so they got to get it. During the rut, a buck' s just like most males, when the girl waggles that tale, all rules go out the window.
There is also the ol rumor that spikes never make good racks and I think that' s been proven wrong.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:27 PM

How about these 2 common myths. They were even meantioned here recently:

1. You can tell the sex of the deer by looking at its feces.
2. You can tell the sex of the deer by looking at a single track.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:34 PM

The myth that Southern deer are smarter than any other deer.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:36 PM

THATS NOT A MYTH THAT IS A FACT
Old 11-13-2003, 01:28 PM

When i first started hunting and even before that, i was told that when it was really nasty, snow-rain-windy, just all around nasty weather that the deer wont be moving, ive seen several deer under these conditions. i guess it was my dad s way of trying to keep me inside, not that i ever listened,BUT we know how that works. ive seen a couple of the bigest bucks (live weight of around 190 lbs or better) under those conditions. unfortunalty didnt get a clean shot,missed both. but i guess thats the way it goes..
Old 11-13-2003, 02:16 PM

I can' t resist.

The Hollow Spot
Old 11-13-2003, 05:25 PM

What about the myth that bucks usually grow antlers and does do not? I' m not convinced....
Old 11-13-2003, 05:58 PM

Oh, and here' s another one. What about the idea that deer feed mostly during the night and bed down during the day?
Sorry man, I couldn' t resist...

Quick Reply: Deer myths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.