Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Will a big buck be with spike? >

Will a big buck be with spike?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will a big buck be with spike?

Old 11-13-2003, 10:34 AM
jec

Default Will a big buck be with spike?

I have a stand that is my best one. I' ve killed 3 bucks in 2 years off of it and every year, like clockwork , about a week before bow season they rub the same sumacs under this stand like crazy. Well this year, I had rubs like crazy and hunted this stand hard, and thought it was a good buck because I thought if it was a spike or something I would probably have alot of sightings. Well, I finally found the buck and it is a spike. Now I see him everytime I hunt almost(we have a 3 point rule here). THis stand is overlooking a grown up grape vineyard full of cedars and sumacs with a trail down the side. Will another larger buck occupy this with the spike or is the spike probably the only one in there hiding from larger bucks? I only have 15 acres, but there is 180 acres in front of the property in hardwoods that is not hunted. Behind the property there is 220 acres that is being hunted. I' ve been told that there is a good 6 point that has been seen around the back side of my property so I hung a stand there. I' ve hunted it once and saw a buck at dark, but it may have been the spike. Would the 6 point be in the same area as my spike is working in the front?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Will a big buck be with spike?

absolutely they can be in the same area, i see bucks togeather all year long especially if they are close to the same age and size, a bigger buck will definetly come through that area especially if there is alot of does. that spike didnt rub the trees i can assure you of that, keep hunting
Old 11-13-2003, 02:00 PM

yes- last year my neighbor' s son saw a spike, a four pointer which he shot, and then an eight pointer which came out after he shot- of course- , so ya theyll group together, but i wouldnt go as far as sweetwater to say that the spike didnt rub on your tree below your stand, ive wittnessed them doing it, it was the first time i ever saw it happen.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:07 PM

hard for spikes to horn trees and leave marks but they do rub them
Old 11-13-2003, 02:19 PM
jec

Well, you both may be right. I have seen him rub the trees hard on 2 occasions, but technically, I guess he isn' t a spike. They are about 10 to 12 inches high and on one side there is a very slight fork, so technically, I guess he is a 3 pointer.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:44 PM

That sure sounds like a goofy looking rack!
Old 11-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I' ve seen baskets bucks with mature bucks on multiple occasions.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:20 PM

Absolutely, Jec. The 8 point I killed last year came into my scope' s view seconds after seeing a year and a half old spike in the same thicket with a bunch of does.

I would equate it to a huge guy at a single' s bar with a hot chick in the middle. The big guy is gonna co-exist with the little 5' 4" guy as long as the little guy doesn' t hit on his girl or swing at him first... There' s a general understanding that doesn' t need to be discussed...
Old 11-13-2003, 08:33 PM

on two occassions i have seen monster deer with younger bucks.
once in the late summer when driving our jeep on some old logging roads near a swamp saw a monster 14 or 16 typical that looked right at me for like 2 minutes. then he took off and lo and behold there was a decent 6 pointer following 5o yards behind him.
the other occassion was two weeks ago. during the doe season, as many of you who have read my earlier posts would know i have been raving about the monster 10 pointer. about 1/2 hour before dark a spike walked into a clearing 25 yards in front of me. then he left and the monster walked in and stood right where the spike was not 5 minutes before. i have my doubts that they were traveling together because just last weekend the " rutting moon" appeared in the sky(the full moon, and the lunar eclipse) and that usually signals the start of the rut. so maybe the bigger deer was chasing the smaller deer off? i dont know but of course i saw three bucks that weekend and only two yearling does, which i saw on 5 different occassions in 3 days of hunting. sorry to rant, but hope it helps.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:41 AM

dont worry about that. If there' s a big buck somewhere near your hunting land it wont think twice to get on... if theres something he wants. Have you tried scents and maybe some calling? It' s just a suggestion.