Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my first deer

Old 11-12-2003, 04:45 PM

Default Got my first deer

I got her at 5:27pm on 11/7. I was in my stand and had not seen any deer for most of the afternoon when I noticed 5 does in the trees headed along the treeline. I used my Primos original can and did 2 bleats. Their heads came up and they started working their way to my feeder. They took their time coming in and then ate for about 20 min. They started to leave and just as the last one went out of site, I hit the can again and within 10 min, I had about 15 deer back in my area. I didn' t see any bucks except a small spike and decided to take one of the does. I had to be very carefull as there were lots of kids about and I didn' t want to take any of the ' moms' . I finally settled on the biggest doe around that did not have a kid following it. I took careful aim and was not even really sure I was going to take her when BANG!, I shot. All the deer in the area jumped and a few started to bolt, I wasn' t sure If i scored a hit or not, but when I looked again, my doe had a large hole in her lower abdomen and there seemed to be something hanging out of her. I waited for about 25min before I got out of my stand and then went to get my buddy. I had to wait in hiding behind his stand while he took a shot at a nice sized buck near his feeder. He waited too long and it was too dark, so the shot was a miss.

I headed off in the direction I thought my doe ran and could not find her. When one of our lease-mates came up with this million candle-power spotlight. We went back to the point of the shot and I found the blood trail. It started pretty strong and diminished after a bit and was pretty hard to follow. I would have to stand on the last seen blood and just start scanning outward. I had my friend' s 16yr old with me and he was excited about actually following a blood-trail. I was afraid that I gut shot her and thought that she might have run a long way until I found her stomach laying on the trail. [] Af few yards later, I found most of her intestines. Just a few yards further, I found her piled up under a tree. She was not the biggest doe around, I am guessing she was about 75lbs. There is a proccessor only 12 miles from my lease that will gut the deer for $10 extra so I didn' t even think twice since it was already dark and they were so close. I am having steaks and chili made with her and will pick it up this weekend. Can' t wait!
Old 11-12-2003, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Got my first deer

sounds like she was already half gutted. you should have tried to get him to charge only $5
Old 11-12-2003, 05:15 PM

She practically was gutted. heh, I did joke with the guy at the processor about getting it for 1/2 price. They laughed but still charged me the whole $10 anyhow. I didn' t really mind since she was my first deer and I had never even seen one gutted before.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:57 PM

Congrats on your first Hope there are many more in your future.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:17 PM

Congratulations on your first deer, hope you get many more. Happy Hunting
Old 11-13-2003, 07:49 AM

congrats
Old 11-13-2003, 07:51 AM

heres my first deer HA

Old 11-13-2003, 08:04 AM

congrats on your first!!