Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2023 Goals

Old 11-17-2023, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations Connor!
Old 11-17-2023, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

to just survive!
Old 01-24-2024, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Revisiting this thread.

I did not get my flintlock deer or even get over to pa to hunt flintlock.

I did carry it three days in Ohio's muzzleloader season though. No luck.

The rest of my season was awesome.

Two of my kids got doe. My wife and I doubled up on Ohio bucks. And I got a PA buck.

Successful season, beyond what I deserve!

-Jake
Old 01-24-2024, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

This was a tough year for me, the toughest in recent memory. It is not that I did not see deer, I did, many were in the brush and not v isible enough for me to shoot, many more werer running through the trees, I don't take those shots, I hade one big doe at 30 yards broadside and when I pulled the trigger I got a click instead of a boom, it was a rifle that I had a timeny trigger put in. it went back to the shop where it was installed. Finally on the last day of our rifle season at the 111th hour, literally, 11:05 to be exact I had two doe at a little over one hundred yards on a grass road at the bottom of a steep downgrade, a shot I normally would not have taken without a rest but being the last day of the season I put the crosshairs just below her neck at the top of her brisket and squeezed the trigger. I ws using my 45-70 because my .270 was in the shop and she went down like she was struck by lightning, kicked a few times and my season was over.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thatís awesome Oldtimr!

I let a couple of young bucks walk until muzzleloader season and only saw does for the most part and no permit for antler less deer. During the first part of the last week of muzzleloader season I hauled up on a decent buck and the hammer froze up on me and couldnít pull it back in time to get a shot. So I ended up getting a big fat goose egg this past season..
Old 01-25-2024, 03:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

My condolences Phil, I can imagine what you were saying.