HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting Rifle Setup for $1500 budget (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/429000-hunting-rifle-setup-1500-budget.html)

smarkh 01-26-2023 07:41 PM

Hunting Rifle Setup for $1500 budget

I am building my first big game hunting rifle that I would like to use for deer and maybe elk in the future. I have a budget of $1500 for the rifle, optics, and rings. I would love some input from experienced hunters on a good setup in this price range. I have considered rifles such as the Bergara B-14 series like the wilderness ridge or the HMR, the Tikka Tx3 lite and ctr, Weatherby Vanguard in a few different configurations, Savage lightweight storm, and Ruger American Hunter. For Optics I have considered the Vortex Diamondback 4-16, Sig Tango 4-16, and the Vortex Viper.

I think that all of these options have some great positives to them and I am just having trouble making the final decision on all of the setup, mostly due to inexperience. If anyone has any suggestions on guns or scopes that would fit in this price range, I would appreciate your input.

SpikeShpigel 02-14-2023 04:41 AM

Nice!! Have a photo?

hardcastonly 02-16-2023 10:30 AM

https://weatherby.com/store/meateaterrifle/

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diam...iflescope.html

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/weat...430000565.html

Ridge Runner 02-16-2023 01:44 PM

good god man I have less than 1500 in this! 6.5 creedmoor

Rob in VT 03-07-2023 03:46 AM

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in 300 WM. Topped it with Talley rings and a Swarovski Z3 4x12x50. I put this together probably 8 years ago. The gun was $500, scope $800, and rings just under $100.

olehunter 04-12-2023 06:54 PM

hunting rifle?

or a show piece safe queen thats too valuable to take out of the house?

Nomercy448 04-15-2023 10:16 AM

$1500 doesn't go as far as it used to, even just a few years ago, but it's definitely a reasonable price point. Personally, I'd look pretty hard at better balancing the rifle and optic price, and I'd want to make sure I was actually getting value out of the price of the rifle rather than simply paying more to get the same performance. I tend to want a wood stock, or at least, do NOT want an injection molded polymer stock, but in many models, the price difference between a base model and their first wooden stock is 50% more, or even double pricing - but the performance is exactly the same. Comparatively, some brands will have real performance improvements among models in their lower end - for example, Savage offers AXIS models with and without Accutriggers, and offers some 10/110 models which are lower priced near the Axis price point too - so spending $750 for a 10/110 with an accutrigger is actually buying a better rifle, not just a more expensive stock. I'd gladly stick a lower cost model into an aftermarket stock or chassis if the price math works out. I'd also strongly consider buying a barreled action, such as the Bergara and Howa offered at Brownells to get the combination of stock and metalwork I want. Looks like the Browning AB3 is pretty affordable right now with a wooden stock, which is pretty tempting at its price point.

I'm also not above finding a great price on a used rifle, to knock the "new car smell depreciation" off of the top of the pricing.

For glass, I am firmly convinced $750-800 buys considerably better glass than $300-500. I also know there are "pro programs" which are broadly available to a LOT of folks, so if you can find a way to access them, you can buy a lot more scope for your money.

I will say, the Sig Tango4 and the Vortex Diamondback aren't in the same class - the Sig has much nicer glass.

Originally Posted by olehunter (Post 4410334)
or a show piece safe queen thats too valuable to take out of the house?

$1500 is a "show piece"??? $1500 doesn't even buy a proper grade Walnut stock BLANK for a show piece. If a guy buys a using rifle they can't afford to use, then they can't afford the rifle.

Mr. Slim 04-30-2023 07:46 PM

where are you located? what state? i have a Remington 721 in 300 H&H mag im selling. it includes 2 boxes of reloaded ammo, RCBS dies, and approx 70 rounds of new Winchester brass. im asking $1500 for it all. is has an old Weaver scope on it. 3x9 power. if you are anywhere close to me, im located in western Pa.

EleanoraGislason 07-10-2023 12:12 AM

For a hunting rifle setup with a $1500 budget, here's a suggested configuration:
  1. Rifle: Consider a reliable and accurate bolt-action rifle such as the Remington 700, Savage 110, or Tikka T3. These models are known for their performance and are available in various calibers suited for different game.
  2. Optics: Allocate a significant portion of your budget to a quality scope. Look for reputable brands like Vortex, Leupold, or Nikon. Opt for a variable power scope with good clarity and a suitable magnification range for your hunting needs.
  3. Mounts: Invest in a durable scope mount that is compatible with your chosen rifle and scope. Seek out reputable brands like Warne, Talley, or Leupold for reliable options.
  4. Ammunition: Dedicate a portion of your budget to acquiring quality ammunition that matches your rifle's caliber and is appropriate for your intended game. Consider reputable brands like Federal, Hornady, or Winchester.
  5. Accessories: Set aside a small portion of your budget for accessories such as a sling, bipod, and a durable rifle case or backpack to protect and transport your rifle.

Remember, these are general recommendations, and it's crucial to choose equipment that suits your specific hunting requirements and preferences. Consider visiting a local gun store or consulting experienced hunters for personalized advice based on your intended hunting scenarios.

JustineAlbertson 08-03-2023 01:51 AM

When setting up a hunting rifle on a $1500 budget, it's essential to allocate funds wisely to ensure a well-rounded and reliable setup. Here are some recommendations for a balanced hunting rifle setup:
  1. Rifle: Spend a significant portion of the budget on a quality rifle from reputable brands such as Remington, Ruger, Savage, or Tikka. Consider the intended game, shooting distance, and personal preferences when selecting the appropriate caliber and action type (bolt-action or semi-automatic).
  2. Optics: A reliable and clear scope is crucial for accurate shooting. Vortex Optics is well-regarded in the hunting community for providing excellent optics at various price points. Consider models like the Vortex Diamondback or Viper series, which offer good performance within the budget.
  3. Mounts and Rings: Invest in high-quality mounts and rings to ensure the scope stays securely attached to the rifle, maintaining zero even after repeated use.
  4. Ammunition: Allocate some budget for quality ammunition suited to your chosen rifle and intended game. Experiment with different loads to find what works best for your setup.
  5. Sling and Bipod: A comfortable sling and a steady bipod can greatly enhance your shooting experience in the field, improving stability and reducing fatigue.
Regarding Vortex Optics, the brand has garnered a positive reputation for providing reliable and clear optics at various price points. Their products often receive favorable reviews from hunters and shooters alike. They offer a wide range of scopes with different features, magnification levels, and reticle options to suit various hunting applications.

However, as an AI language model, I don't have personal experiences or opinions. I recommend conducting further research, reading reviews, and seeking advice from experienced hunters to make an informed decision based on the most up-to-date information available.

Please note that product availability and specifications may change over time, so it's essential to verify the current offerings from Vortex Optics and other manufacturers before making a purchase.