HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Need advice on getting started please. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/428862-need-advice-getting-started-please.html)

Huntman34 12-23-2022 01:40 PM

Need advice on getting started please.

So I'm a Marine stationed in Virginia for a few months, I've been out of country for 3 years and in a few months ill be leaving again for 3 more years. I'm not from around here and I'm not allowed to own a rifle in the barracks I'm in. I want to go hunting in the time I'm back so bad, I haven't been since I went with my dad years ago, never been solo. Are there like , programs that will let me pay to come hunt with someone , "rent " a rifle basically for the day and kinda go with someone or even by myself , I have loads of firearm training and outdoor training from the Marine Corps obviously? I dont have anyone here, I dont have a rifle and I dont have land to hunt. But im more than willing to pay for the experience, I dont even care if I kill a deer and if I do id donate it wherever I just wanna get out there. I know I need to get the license that's not a problem. But I dont know where to get started with what im working with.

Oldtimr 12-23-2022 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Huntman34 (Post 4408634)
So I'm a Marine stationed in Virginia for a few months, I've been out of country for 3 years and in a few months ill be leaving again for 3 more years. I'm not from around here and I'm not allowed to own a rifle in the barracks I'm in. I want to go hunting in the time I'm back so bad, I haven't been since I went with my dad years ago, never been solo. Are there like , programs that will let me pay to come hunt with someone , "rent " a rifle basically for the day and kinda go with someone or even by myself , I have loads of firearm training and outdoor training from the Marine Corps obviously? I dont have anyone here, I dont have a rifle and I dont have land to hunt. But im more than willing to pay for the experience, I dont even care if I kill a deer and if I do id donate it wherever I just wanna get out there. I know I need to get the license that's not a problem. But I dont know where to get started with what im working with.

You could rent a locker off base to keep your rifle, ammo and hunting clothes in. Have your dad send your rifle to you, buy a license and hunt.

Ridge Runner 12-24-2022 04:24 AM

check into the license thing some states do not require active military to purchase a license. I know WV doesn't.

tatonka 12-28-2022 12:15 PM

You might try going to a local VFW and explaining what you want to do. More than likely there will be hunters there and I wouldn't be surprised if someone wouldn't take you hunting and maybe even lend you a rifle.. If I lived there, I would.

lakesidez 02-07-2023 10:17 AM

Do you have a local archery or sportsmans club you can get signed up with?

vapahunter 02-11-2023 04:58 PM

Active military need a license to hunt in Virginia. There are many bases in the area that allow hunting so the Norfolk Recreation Center should be able to give you a start on your search.

Leonard Bart 08-09-2023 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Huntman34 (Post 4408634)

To begin with, you should decide on the animal that you plan to hunt. Next, purchase a rifle and the necessary optics. But of course, get a license first.

Phil from Maine 08-18-2023 06:15 AM

Getting started was hard for me. I came from a single parent family and had to learn everything from reading a compass straight threw. My farther was never really a big hunter. I did have grandfathers that hunted. One of them died while I was young and one was aways away. But I did have some hunting with him. Most of my information came from those hunter’s breakfasts and the like. I would eves drop in listening to the different hunters talking about their hunting stories and ect. I learned quite a lot from them. Sometimes just walking around sporting stores and listening or seeing a buck mounted on the wall and asking if you shot that? Just stroking the flames to get a conversation going on hunting them. The rest was up to me to sort the good stuff out of it all. Because some stuff was just stories while other stuff was real life events.. I became a quite successful hunter until cancer knocked me for a loop. But, I have been rebounding quite well. I hope some of this stuff helps you out. I would also attend sporting events and just try and listen to what other hunters are saying.. Good luck to you..

vapahunter 08-20-2023 06:41 AM

Also take a ride yo Bass Pro and go up to the Archery department and start talking to he people there.

Life by the Horns 09-15-2023 09:17 AM

I would try to make some friends in the area that are hunters. Most people who are passionate about it are happy to show someone the ropes and get them in on the game.