HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Walking Deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/428706-walking-deer.html)

Orphanbrg 11-19-2022 11:40 AM

Walking Deer?

Is it ethical to shoot at a walking (not running, not trotting but walking) deer? If so, how much lead do you suggest? On a Leupold duplex reticle, would the transition from thin to heavy be enough at 100 yards?

flyinlowe 11-20-2022 06:21 AM

Depends on the gun, At 100 yards some bullets will impact in a fraction of a second. A 12 gauge slug will take longer to get there. I have shot deer that are walking but I always try to stop them first. A super fast bullet will get there and the margin of error from the deer walking is probably less then what you most people can accurately shoot. Just saying some guns might have 3 inch or more group at 100 yards and the target would move less then that, again depending on the speed of your bullet.

Oldtimr 11-20-2022 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Orphanbrg (Post 4407685)
Is it ethical to shoot at a walking (not running, not trotting but walking) deer? If so, how much lead do you suggest? On a Leupold duplex reticle, would the transition from thin to heavy be enough at 100 yards?

A walking deer is a cake shot at reasonable ranges. All you have to do is keep your cross hairs or sight on the spot you want to hit as it walks. no need to lead at reasonable distance. I don't do it very often but I once killed a deer on the run at a little over 100 yards, I simply kept the crosshairs on the shoulder and hit her right in the crease behind the shoulder, If you are a decent shot, no problem and ethical, if not it isn't ethical so, don't shoot.

SpikeShpigel 02-14-2023 04:38 AM

However, according to hunting ethics, shooting at a walking deer may not be considered ethical as the animal may not be presenting a clear, clean shot. The appropriate time to take a shot is when the animal is still and broadside. Regarding the amount of lead needed, it depends on the caliber of the rifle and the distance of the shot. It is important to use a caliber that is appropriate for the size of the animal to ensure a clean kill. As for the Leupold duplex reticle, the transition from thin to heavy should be enough at 100 yards, but it is always recommended to practice and familiarize yourself with your equipment before going on a hunt.

Oldtimr 02-14-2023 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SpikeShpigel (Post 4409556)
However, according to hunting ethics, shooting at a walking deer may not be considered ethical as the animal may not be presenting a clear, clean shot. The appropriate time to take a shot is when the animal is still and broadside. Regarding the amount of lead needed, it depends on the caliber of the rifle and the distance of the shot. It is important to use a caliber that is appropriate for the size of the animal to ensure a clean kill. As for the Leupold duplex reticle, the transition from thin to heavy should be enough at 100 yards, but it is always recommended to practice and familiarize yourself with your equipment before going on a hunt.

Whoes ethics? It is perfectly ethical to shoot a walking . I suggest you don't give adviice because you do not know what you are talking about.

hunters_life 02-15-2023 02:52 AM

Oldtimr, Shooting at a walking animal could very well be unethical. As the previous poster stated " MAY not be ethical": and I can give you one very good reason out of many, Heavy cover. Could be a branch in the scope that you miss, All kinds of reasons not to shoot at a moving animal, And then again, there are all kinds of perfectly ethical situations where firing would be 100% acceptable. As far as the rest of his statement, I don't see anything that's not completely correct. You saying not to practice with your equipment? You saying proper ammo for the species being hunted isn't correct? You saying distance shouldn't factor into the equation as to shoot or not? Sound's like perfectly reasonable advice to me. Granted it does seem a little "Googled" to me but still correct.

So my suggestion for you would be stop being so ill mannered and anti social. Also, I don't think that poster is from America and English may well not be his first language so maybe that would be why his few posts seem a bit "Googled"

Oldtimr 02-15-2023 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4409571)
Oldtimr, Shooting at a walking animal could very well be unethical. As the previous poster stated " MAY not be ethical": and I can give you one very good reason out of many, Heavy cover. Could be a branch in the scope that you miss, All kinds of reasons not to shoot at a moving animal, And then again, there are all kinds of perfectly ethical situations where firing would be 100% acceptable. As far as the rest of his statement, I don't see anything that's not completely correct. You saying not to practice with your equipment? You saying proper ammo for the species being hunted isn't correct? You saying distance shouldn't factor into the equation as to shoot or not? Sound's like perfectly reasonable advice to me. Granted it does seem a little "Googled" to me but still correct.

So my suggestion for you would be stop being so ill mannered and anti social. Also, I don't think that poster is from America and English may well not be his first language so maybe that would be why his few posts seem a bit "Googled"

When I want your suggestion I will asked for it. The OP's question was a simple one, is it unethical to shoot at a walking deer? There was no mention of the deer being behind heavy brush. or a long distance, or what kind of ammo should be used or any other assumptions. You could ask if it is ethical to shoot a standing deer and the answer would be the same, yes. Answer what was asked, don't take into consideration cirscumstances that were not asked about . You are not doing the OP any favors by complicating an answer to a very simple question, give him some credit for not being stupid.

Timbrhuntr 02-15-2023 06:07 AM

Ya how dare suggest anything to this member ! Probably another new poster that will never return !

hunters_life 02-15-2023 06:19 AM

And when I or anyone else on this forum want's your rude and totally uncalled for insults then we will ask you for them. It's responses such as yours that keep new posters from posting. Or from even joining.

Oldtimr 02-15-2023 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4409574)
And when I or anyone else on this forum want's your rude and totally uncalled for insults then we will ask you for them. It's responses such as yours that keep new posters from posting. Or from even joining.

Acyually it is rude to assume the OP wasn't smart enough to know not to shoot through thick brush, your post was the one that was insulting. I gave him a straight answer , not a whole lot of who shot john.