Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground hunting tips?

Old 10-09-2022, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Ground hunting tips?

Hi all I am planning on trying some archery hunting from the ground. I had my back operated on two weeks ago. The doctor said walking is great for me but limit what I carry to no more than 20 pounds and no bending and twisting. I can work that in slowly. So I went in and checked a teal camera out and had 2 nice bucks show up on it. So now I am planning on trying to get one of them to come in for me. I can’t climb a tree stand and lugging in a blind is not an option either. So do any of you have any tips? Thank you all..
Old 10-09-2022, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

I honestly would try to find someone to help you get a good ground blind set up. In and out and you can leave it there all season. If it were me I would also buy one to practice out of. Are you shooting traditional archery or a cross bow? Either way shooting a bow seated from a ground blind is not like shooting a rifle, you shouldn't just go out and do it, at least I wouldn't. It takes some getting used to and practice.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I currently have a ground blind and have shot out of it before while turkey hunting in town where no firearms can be used because of houses. I just no that I can’t carry it in there because of the operation that I have had. I will be shooting a bow so it’s going to be different for sure. I could wait a few more weeks for rifle season. But last year the rut was pretty well over there. So I am hopeful that I can get a jump on them first this year..
Old 10-11-2022, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I currently have a ground blind and have shot out of it before while turkey hunting in town where no firearms can be used because of houses. I just no that I can’t carry it in there because of the operation that I have had. I will be shooting a bow so it’s going to be different for sure. I could wait a few more weeks for rifle season. But last year the rut was pretty well over there. So I am hopeful that I can get a jump on them first this year..
Get a gobbler turkey lounger, a crossbow and a decoy . I sit in my chair I use for turkey hunting at the edge of a bush in an opening. I put out the buck decoy and rattle with grunts also. I have had several bucks in to bow range to check out the decoy. From the end of october into the first week or two of november. I find unless I have had a blind out for a while and brushed in good the deer don't like it and skirt it .I just moved to New Brunswick and am going to try this on the edge of the woods here next to a pasture to see if it works here as good as elsewhere. Sorry to hear about your back and good luck !
Old 10-11-2022, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Why not pull your ground blind to a spot using a sled or a piece of tarp to slide over the ground?
Old 10-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you Timbrhuntr, A decoy might be the ticket if I can get one here in time? It would be set up in the woods though. These deer won’t be out in a field. They like the swails and old swamps. I have them coming up on a ridge using scent. So I will try a brush pile if I can get into one nearby. I would love to have one come up before they get rutting.. There’s two bruisers together right now. Both are 7 pointers but heavy weights..
Old 10-11-2022, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
Why not pull your ground blind to a spot using a sled or a piece of tarp to slide over the ground?
Thank you and I could try it but would be noisy going in with it. They are already coming into the scenting right now. With the rut starting up in around two weeks and shortly after rifle season I want them to keep coming around..
Old 10-12-2022, 04:29 PM
Spike

Thumbs up ground blind

i use a popup blind . i dont think it weighs more than 10 lb. it takes some practice to learn how to fold it up. something like rolling up a bandsaw blade. you will need to brush it up for better camo and break up the outline. 86 and bad back dont walk more than a block wthout pain . my motto dont stop until you do.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have have used a decoy in the woods but make sure you put it where they get sight of it from a bit of a distance. Couple years ago I shot a buck coming along a ridge in the woods to my grunting but he could see the decoy a good 60 yards away. I usually take the decoy out and hide it near where I am hunting so you only have to bring it out once lol Mine has a carry strap like sling so its pretty easy to carry in . The year I had hip surgery I was able to hobble in with it lol Good Luck they can be hard to find this time of year for sure.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:33 AM
Spike

I now own a ground shield and have previously fired from it while going south America hunting in a town where gun use is illegal due to the presence of condominiums. All I know is that I can't carry it there because of the surgery I had. We could wait until the shooting season in a few weeks. But the ruts were there last year. So, I'm hoping to be number one this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.