Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Old 11-11-2003, 07:00 PM

Default ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Let me begin by saying that I have owned a 4 wheeler since 1986 and have never really used it to ride in to my stand. I' ve used it to retrieve downed deer and to take stands in the woods ahead of times that I' ve planned to hunt. I' ve always liked to hunt away from the crowds and tried to find areas that no one else was hunting. In May of 2000, I had surgery on my cervical spine [neck], after being basically paralyzed from the waist down for about 2 months. I' ve made a miraculous recovery since then and I am truly blessed by the grace of God. But I still have a lot of nerve damage in my lower legs that I will never regain, so the doctor says. I' m not looking for sympathy, just explaining my situation, because I do get around very well. Since my recovery, up until this hunting season I have tried to hunt like I have in the past, but I Finally realized this season that my body is just not able to hunt like I use to. I' ve told you all of this to ask you this question. I am considering riding my 4 wheeler to within 100 to 150 yards from my stand, parking it and walking in the rest of the way. Through your experiences what do you feel about me doing this? I hunt on a private club with 5000+ acres and we sign out the area that we are hunting, so there' s no chance of me interfering with anybody else while they are hunting. Thank you for your input.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Yeah go for it, I know some guys that sit on their 4-wheeler while hunting.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt with mine, drive to about 100 yards away, doesn' t seem to
bother the deer and its alot less walking.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:16 PM

Deer are more afraid of a hunter walking through the woods than riding on an ATV. You shouldn' t have any problems driving within 100 yards or closer to your stand. You may want to get a cover for it, because deer seem a little spooked of just the ATV sitting there, but not while you are driving it.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely go for it. My Uncle is hitting 73 yrs of age, with a slight heart problem, and we reserve the whole eastern half of the property for him. He drives his truck, gets out and walks maybe 20 yds to his " spot" . He sits maybe an hour at a time till he gets cold and heads back in to the truck to warm up but his spot is a good funnel and he still gets a buck here and there and sees tons of does. Ain' t no shame whatsoever. Just think about what would happen if you hurt yourself and don' t have that vehicle. Sitting in the snow waiting for someone to notice your missing ain' t gonna bring happiness to anyone. Like the other guy said, i' d even consider sitting on it if you have real difficulties, why risk your health when you aren' t hurting anyone. And bring a radio or something and have someone monitor it, just in case you get into trouble, great idea for anyone especially if you know you have a problem to begin with.good luck.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:00 PM

I also ride a ATV to a few of my stands since they are very deep in the woods or deep in a swamp with a lot of water in it. At a couple of my stands, I am able to park within 20 yards of my stands. I have sat in the stands and watched as deer have walked into position where they can see the ATV and just stop to look at it. (Both bucks and does) They will continue to look at it from anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. Although it might makes them nervous, it has never scared any of them. Another thing I have noticed is that deer seem to pick up on your scent while riding an ATV vs. walking. From my experience, a deer isn' t near as frightened when smelling machinery as they are when they pick up on human scent. This is my personal experience with ATV' s while deer hunting. I hope this helps!! Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 11-12-2003, 05:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2003, 07:46 AM

Another thing I have noticed is that deer seem to pick up on your scent while riding an ATV vs. walking.
I meant to say " Another thing I have noticed is that deer DON' T seem to pick up on your scent while riding........"

Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 11-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like CarolinaDeerHunter is using his atv as cover scent. Hmmm, never thought of that.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

We drive our ATV' s anywhere from 400 yards to right up to our stands. Depending on the location, I don' t think that ATV' s bother the deer. Unless of couese you have an " UN-NAMED" two-cycle engine that smokes up the woods!

Quick Reply: ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.