Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Old 11-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

I truly hate ATV' s, no offense to anyone who uses them, but they may be needed in situations such as this!!! I don' t think 100% able-bodied men should be stinking up the woods with them though. But to retrieve an animal, that' s fine.

Can I offer you another suggestions? Ever tried a nice, quite electric golf cart? They make those for hunting now. It certainly is a quite, alternative solution!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 AM

I agree with formula 1 , the land nest to me i think all they do is have a contest on whos 4-wheeler is the cleanest and who can ride the most befor daylight. To ride them to and from stand and to retrieve deer, go for it but dont ride it al around the property before daylight. Anoying, and some people wonder why they dont kill big deer. Hope i dont affend anyone but they do serve a purpose i know but alot of people dont know what that is.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

I know some people who park right under their stand and just throw a piece of camo burlap over it. Doesn' t seam to hurt them for they all kill deer. I park mine about 50 yds. in some natural cover that I manipulated to make a slot just big enough to squeeze into. Some guys park theirs out in plain sight to give something to draw the deers attention away from their stand, saying the deer will walk out and stand there looking at the 4-wheeler giving a good opportunity for a good clean shot.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:46 PM

I would use it. Last year one of our lease members was in the final stages of his battle with cancer (He has since passed away.) and he was allowed to take one of the lease vehicles to his area and hunt from it the same way he would hunt from a stand.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:54 PM

I use my ATV as transportation, carrying BIG and small deer killed, carrying stands, help with putting up stands, carrying seed, planting food plots and so much more. I tried the electric golf cart and they will do fine in certain areas but will never go some places an ATV will go and certainly can' t pull a disc harrow. GO POLARIS!! lol -- CDH
Old 11-12-2003, 04:33 PM

I have parked right next to the ladder on my stank, sterpped from the foot peg to the ladder. I had put doe scent on the side of the motor as I drove it through tall sage grass. A spike followed the scent all the way in and checked the ATV out. He then moved right in front of the stand, shot him at 15 yds.
I have also built a pipe frame on the racks, used camo cloth which I drop over the ATV when parked. Had does come within 10 yda. and not spooked.

Russ
Old 11-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go for it. Here most zones you can' t use an ATV for hunting unless for retreiving. In other zones you can' t use an atv for hunting until noon and then a few zones you can use it all day. The only execption is in a case like yours, which I think most would agree is completely fine. As far as spooking game I haven' t encounter it when we can use quads to hunt with, I know when retrieving/scouting I have seen lots of game from the cushion of the bike. While some deer spoke, other just stand and watch. I think they spook from the noise and since it will be parked I wouldn' t worry to much. Personally I would try and park it in a spot that wouldn' t interact with deer coming your way but i assume you' d do that any way.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:46 PM

I' m a lazy hunter. I ain' t proud of it, but it' s true. [8D]

Anyhow, I ride my 4 wheeler to most of the places I hunt, except one piece of property where it' s not allowed.

There was a morning a few years ago, I rode into an area known for having a lot of deer. I don' t hunt there regularly, I was invited onto a friends property for the day. Anyhow, my nephew and I rode in, 2 machines, he knows the area...so he leads me in shows me to my stand, we ride right up to it, in fact I parked in such a manner that I stepped off the foot peg of the 4wheeler and onto the ladder for the stand. I never touched the ground even. Then my nephew drove off on his machine to go to his stand.

It wasn' t 10 minutes later I had the biggest buck I' ve ever seen walking past my stand at about 25 yards. He wasn' t in a hurry, but he wasn' t stopping in an opening to offer me a shot either. He was on his way someplace and didn' t give a rat' s behind about my 4 wheeler sitting there. After he walked off, and I chewwed on by bow a little out of frustration for not having a clean shot at him.....A doe comes by, she' s a little farther away, but in a clearing so I take a shot, arrow sails over her back. DAMN!!!

Over the course of the morning hunt I saw more deer than I had ever seen during the course of any single hunt. All with my 4 wheeler sitting at the base of my stand. All the deer passed within about 50 yards. Had I had a gun that morning I would have needed the 4 wheeler to haul out all that meat!!

Any hunting is better than no hunting. If the only way you can get there is on a 4 wheeler than go for it. Even if you do spook a few you will still see more than if you don' t go at all right?

Good luck, and good wishes for continued recovery.

Darrin
Old 11-12-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the feedback folks. This is a subject that i' ve always wondered about but was really afraid to try. Now I have the confidence to try it and it will allow me to hunt some of the places that I use to hunt. Thanks a lot and good luck to all.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:48 PM

i drive about 200 yds from some of the far stands otherwise walk. atvs are great for haulin out deer, haulin stands in or scouting plus they gosh darn fun. Honda' s kick polaris' ars[8D]

Quick Reply: ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.