HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   If There Were a 2022 Gun Deer Contest Who Would Enter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/428449-if-there-were-2022-gun-deer-contest-who-would-enter.html)

jrbsr 09-25-2022 01:32 AM

If There Were a 2022 Gun Deer Contest Who Would Enter?

If There Were a 2022 Gun Deer Contest Who Would Enter?

john1984 09-25-2022 11:00 AM

Sure why not

Oldtimr 09-25-2022 02:29 PM

No I do not believe in contests for the biggest rack or the most harvested of any wildlife are good for the sport of hunting. I have seen too many instances of people doing things they probably would not have done except for a prize of money. We do not need to muck up a good sport by throwing money into the mix.

jrbsr 09-28-2022 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4406408)
No I do not believe in contests for the biggest rack or the most harvested of any wildlife are good for the sport of hunting. I have seen too many instances of people doing things they probably would not have done except for a prize of money. We do not need to muck up a good sport by throwing money into the mix.

No money or prizes involved.
Mostly just having fun and posting pictures.
Does are just as important as bucks are in this type of contest.
A place to share the story of your hunt, and maybe hunting with other Hunting.net members.
But if no one wants one, I just will not run one.
Thats All

Bocajnala 09-28-2022 10:32 AM

Unfortunately I think that's where we're at these days.

Gone are the days of having 50+ members in a contest. We haven't even made teams in recent years in the squirrel contest. Just sharing pictures and keeping a tally.

-Jake

Oldtimr 09-29-2022 03:53 AM

Boca, I just do not see the point of contests for the biggest or most game animals or birds. The same thing can be accomplished on a web site with a photo thread for various species harvested, it accomplishes the same thing without the incentive to go sideways in order to win money, and even then there are those with egos so big they would do things they shouldn't do to have the highest count. I know some don't agree with me on the contests but I have seen enough to turn me off on contests. I know not everyone is crooked and I am not intimating anyone here is. Just my opinion on the mater based on my experience.

Bocajnala 09-29-2022 08:41 AM

You're certainly free to not join.

If you do any squirrel hunting this year go share the pictures in the squirrel thread.

I won't even add your "score"

-Jake

Oldtimr 09-29-2022 11:10 AM

Thanks but I no longer squirrel hunt.

Champlain Islander 09-29-2022 02:08 PM

Yummy tree rats...LOL

jrbsr 09-29-2022 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4406578)
Yummy tree rats...LOL

A good way to cook squirrel is to boil several squirrels in water with a little apple cider vinagar until it is off the bone.
Separate it from the bones, and then put in zatarain's jambalaya mix.
Then follow the zatarain's jambalaya mix directions.
It will melt in your mouth.
It is the way my youngest likes it the best.

​​​​​​​