Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do I choose a semi permanant deer stand location >

How do I choose a semi permanant deer stand location

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do I choose a semi permanant deer stand location

Old 07-25-2022, 01:06 PM
Spike

Default How do I choose a semi permanant deer stand location

Im wanting to put up a stand on my property that I will leave there all season and maybe year long. How do yall pick a spot to hunt over a food plot or certain side of an opening? One day the wind could be going the right way, or the next it could be blowing at your back towards where you think the deer will come from. Or do people have multiple stands and hunt them only when the wind is going in its favor. Thanks I've never built a permanent stand so not really sure.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tactical error. The wind changes, the food sources come into and out of season, the habitat changes. Deer activities change from year to year depending on those, and other, factors. I have stands set up to be available for certain wind directions, the availability of food, etc. My bow stand locations change from year to year. That said, my permanent gun stands are focused on escape routes and heavy cover.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Multiple stands work best. They can be as simple as a brush pile and a chair or stump to sit on.

I have a location I hunt that has one stand. if the wind is not right or the time of day.is wrong, I often take one of those chairs that folds into a bag with a sling. You can throw it over your shoulder and plop into a blowdown or brush pile. I also still hunt a lot in the situations when the stand won't work.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It also depends on whether you are bow, muzzleloader or rifle hunting. With a rifle, you can get a way with more if you set up a stand some distance from an area or areas (set up multiple shooting lanes) deer are known to pass through. With a bow's shorter range, deer are more likely to key in on an area where bad things happen. Multiple permanent stands certainly work better, we have 11 on our property that allow flexibility for time of day, wind, etc.

I would think you best option is to scout out multiple trees, mark them and prep them, and then have a portable stand or saddle that sets up quickly so you can use it wherever you want.