Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can someone explain wind direction to me >

Can someone explain wind direction to me

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can someone explain wind direction to me

Old 07-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Spike

Default Can someone explain wind direction to me

I hear people talk about wind direction and it always changes I don't understand it. Does wind always go in the same direction? If not then how do I find out which way its going to go? Do you just wake up in the morning, feel which way its going, then choose your location from there? Or are there ways to tell the day before so you can prepare your plan for the morning hunt?
Old 07-04-2022, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I start with the local on-line weather forecast. There is usually an hourly summary which gives wind direction. On the way to the hunting spot, I look for flags flying or smoke to show predominant wind direction. Once I'm in the field, I have a wind indicator attached to my bow or gun. It responds to the slightest breeze.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mason_o
I hear people talk about wind direction and it always changes I don't understand it. Does wind always go in the same direction? If not then how do I find out which way its going to go? Do you just wake up in the morning, feel which way its going, then choose your location from there? Or are there ways to tell the day before so you can prepare your plan for the morning hunt?
As said above, check mout the morning weather forecast, they will tell you the expected wind direction. Next, go our in the fall or late summer and find some milkweed, take the fluffy fibers of the seed pods and dry them well, put them in a water proof container. When you are in or on your stand pull out some, just a little of the fibers and hold them in the air and let them go. The slightest wind will carry them. You can also buy fine powder in a squeeze bottle made for checking wind direction. just squeeze the bottle and a puff of powder will come out and show wind or air current direction.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice on checking the weather forecast and also bringing a squeeze bottle with baby powder, etc. to check the wind direction in the field. If you google search, you can find quite a few articles that will improve your basic understanding of wind direction and what to expect.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would use rosin, the stuff athletes use to gain a better grip instead of baby powder because baby powder has a odor. I check the local weather forecast periodically when I am on stand to se if any changes are coming.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Another important thing to remember is wind direction is opposite of what most people think. If the news said there is a north wind, that means the wind is coming from the north so it is actually blowing toward the south. Many people hear "North wind" and assume it is blowing north.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hollows and hills act as funnels, and also remember as the ground warms up, the air rises carrying your scent with it.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wind can be your best friend or your worst enemy when it comes to hunting. I seem to recall an old saying that went something like this: Before it runs a deer will hear you 3 times, see you twice but only smell you once! Although I don't believe in the first 2 parts I definitely believe in the last part. Especially when it comes to older mature deer.
Open country is the worse for wind because its almost always swirling. In wooded country you have prevailing winds. Oncoming storms usually have a steady wind. In mountainous areas you have thermals that carry scent uphill as the day warms up and downhill as the day cools.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:17 AM
Spike

Great advice on checking the weather forecast, and also bringing a squeeze bottle
Old 08-26-2022, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too rely on the hourly weather forecast. Also, on my way out, I glance at a place that's got a American flag lit up at night. It works as good confirmation.

Some suggest taping a thread to your gun barrel--. It'll blow with the wind, although I imagine it can become hard to see.

Someone mentioned thermals, and to add a bit, your scent tends to go down in the evenings as the temperature drops.

At some point, wind will you surprise you. Two things that help me over the years have been having more than one spot to hunt, different approaches to the stand, and also being willing to stillhunt if a stand placement won't work and I can get positioned to properly work the wind. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.