Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your best and worst last season >

Your best and worst last season

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your best and worst last season

Old 01-13-2022, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your best and worst last season

Now that our seasons are finished or winding down, what was your best moment and your worst moment?

My worst: missing an easy shot because I rushed it.

My best: with just a few minutes of legal light left in the season and kicking myself for likely going deerless because of bad shooting (see above), I spot a seven point standing in some nearby brush which then came out and stood broadside.

Honorable mention best: the first grilling of steaks was well-received by my brothers..

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 01-13-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:13 AM
Spike

We still have a little bit of pheasant season left in Kansas and about a month of goose but so far here are mine.....

My worst: The evening before Halloween I misjudged the distance on a really nice buck that snuck in behind my tree and I shot right over his back. I'm new to bowhunting but it was a lay-up and I blew it. I went from wobbly knees to sick to my stomach and wanting to puke in about 30 secs.

My best: My daughter (16) and my son (12) and I sat in the rifle blind opening day of Kansas rifle season and enjoyed the best deer hunt of the year. The weather was perfect and we seen a ton of deer, probably the most we've ever seen in one sitting. My daughter had the rifle and she made a great shot on a nice mature buck. My son got a picture of my daughter and I dragging that deer threw the creek bottom as the sun was setting in front of us. I have the picture framed and hanging in my garage, it's probably my all-time favorite photo!
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

My worst: not seeing anything legal to shoot all year (archery, muzzleloader and rifle seasons). First time I didn't put my tag on at least one deer in over 30 years.

My best moment: When I put my grandson in one of my favorite spots and moved a few hundred yards away from him. And hour later I heard him shoot and he radioed to me that he got on. A nice little basket 8 pointer - his first.
Attached Thumbnails Your best and worst last season-evans-buck-2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Worst: missing a buck at 33 yards during the VT bow season.

Best: killing my best bull elk in WY
Old 01-18-2022, 04:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Worst getting a tick on a sensitive place and then 2 days later wrecking my truck by hitting a deer on the way hunting. Best filling my doe tag.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

My season is still going. Will let Y'all know later!
Old 01-22-2022, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe I wrapped up my season with a plumb doe this evening. I would say the best part of this season was taking a nice bear in CO on Oct 18 and the worst part was having a stick go through the sidewall of a new tire on my diesel truck in on Christmas Day while I was coyote hunting. My wife went to NH to spend the holiday with her family so I didn't have any adult supervision. The tire had less than a thousand miles on it but I had the road hazard warranty so it got replaced for free. The reason it was the worst part of the season was when I put the spare on I found the valve stem had gone bad on it and the spare wouldn't hold air. I checked the spare last year but forgot to check it this year. So there I sat, 6 miles from town with 2 bad tires. Had to call AAA for a tow and walked pretty much the whole distance back to town so the tow truck knew where I was.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I believe I wrapped up my season with a plumb doe this evening. I would say the best part of this season was taking a nice bear in CO on Oct 18 and the worst part was having a stick go through the sidewall of a new tire on my diesel truck in on Christmas Day while I was coyote hunting. My wife went to NH to spend the holiday with her family so I didn't have any adult supervision. The tire had less than a thousand miles on it but I had the road hazard warranty so it got replaced for free. The reason it was the worst part of the season was when I put the spare on I found the valve stem had gone bad on it and the spare wouldn't hold air. I checked the spare last year but forgot to check it this year. So there I sat, 6 miles from town with 2 bad tires. Had to call AAA for a tow and walked pretty much the whole distance back to town so the tow truck knew where I was.
Sounds like a good season!