HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Avoided the ""tag soup blues." (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/427245-avoided-tag-soup-blues.html)

Father Forkhorn 12-13-2021 02:10 AM

Avoided the ""tag soup blues."

A five pointer obliged himself with about 15 minutes of season left. An easy broadside shot from about 30 yards from my blind. .A lot of work after that, though. No blood trail, and a grid search for about two hours in the dark before I managed to locate him, then an uphill drag.

Meat for the freezer!

Champlain Islander 12-13-2021 03:27 AM

What a great way to end the season. Congratulations.

Bocajnala 12-13-2021 06:05 AM

Glad you got one FF.

-Jake

Father Forkhorn 12-13-2021 08:39 AM

Thanks all, I got him properly stowed away for aging and cleaned things up. I did notice he's a seven pointer.

Champlain Islander 12-13-2021 11:01 AM

Shot my doe Friday morning and will butcher tomorrow. 4 days hanging in 30s and 40s weather with a cool breeze off the lake. Tendeloin were good so it should be a good eater.

CalHunter 12-13-2021 12:00 PM

Congrats FF! :happy0001:

Father Forkhorn 12-13-2021 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4400165)
Shot my doe Friday morning and will butcher tomorrow. 4 days hanging in 30s and 40s weather with a cool breeze off the lake. Tendeloin were good so it should be a good eater.

Sounds delicious. I'm cooking tenderloins for breakfast tomorrow. Steak and eggs!!

flags 12-13-2021 03:15 PM

I still need a burger doe. Friday is the last day of school until the 2nd weekend in Jan. So I'll have plenty of time to look for a tasty doe or an eating sized buck.

bronko22000 12-13-2021 03:31 PM

Congratulations FF. I didn't know there were bucks that small in Kansas. All I ever see them shooting on TV are those big bruisers. LOL... Again, congrats on a nice buck and some good eating. I'm still waiting to put my tag on one. Maybe after Christmas.

Father Forkhorn 12-14-2021 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4400171)
Congratulations FF. I didn't know there were bucks that small in Kansas. All I ever see them shooting on TV are those big bruisers. LOL... Again, congrats on a nice buck and some good eating. I'm still waiting to put my tag on one. Maybe after Christmas.

HaHa! :biggrin:
They do get huge around here. Earlier in the fall, I was at a block party and one of the locals invited me down into his basement and showed me about a half a dozen racks, all 150 minimum. All shot on his farm a few miles from here. He's not doing any kind of management or anything like that. Just planting his usual corn and soybeans.

My joke is deer in Kansas have a serious health issue: obesity! (our squirrels have the same problem).

Good luck filling your tag.