Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caping a deer

Old 11-27-2021, 10:15 AM
Spike

Default Caping a deer

Do you start caping before or right after the front shoulder?
Old 11-27-2021, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 4" behind the front legs for a standard should mount. Middle of the body for a pedestal mount.
Attached Thumbnails Caping a deer-caping.jpg  
Old 11-28-2021, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually stay even further behind the shoulder than 4”. I guess I would rather give the taxidermist more than he needs.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Half way on the rib cage. It is much better to have too much hide than not enough. The taxidermist can easily trim off that he does not need but it is impossible to add a couple inches onto a short cape. This is exactly what guides and PHs do when an animal is caped to ensure there is plenty of hide to work with.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

What flags said works for me. If you're in doubt, ask your intended taxidermist.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I give the taxadermist the whole hide skinning from the hind quarters to the head. Be carful not to cut the brisket area like you would when you normally gut the deer.
He told me having the whole hide is nice because many heads come in with too little skin and he can use the extra.

C. Davis
Old 12-02-2021, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, don't leave a foot of neck meat, pain in the a**. You either have to cut the cape down past the meat, which means a lot of sewing and possibly a visible stitch line, or skin down the face and cut the snout off in order to get the skin over the face. 3" of neck meat is plenty.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I usually stay even further behind the shoulder than 4”. I guess I would rather give the taxidermist more than he needs.
Yes, too much is better than not enough, but if you are the guy skinning, and know you just want a standard shoulder mount, 4" behind the front leg is plenty. The upper 2" of the front leg and the armpit is all that is visible in a standard mount. If you know you want a pedestal, then leave plenty, usually midway down the rib cage is enough.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:13 AM
Spike

I like to cap a deer and I usually do this by keeping even further behind the shoulder than 4". Sometimes given these animals more is better.