Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
She got herself a good one. (more pictures added) >

She got herself a good one. (more pictures added)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

She got herself a good one. (more pictures added)

Old 11-21-2021, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very, Very, Nice!!
Congrats.

C. Davis
Old 11-21-2021, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

well congrats to her on a very fine whitetail there!
Old 11-23-2021, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Congrats to her rocky. That is a monster. They don't look like that here in the Green Mountain State.
What is the weight on a good buck there?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
What is the weight on a good buck there?
It depends on the part of the state. Average 1 1/2 year old buck will generally field dressed weigh 100 to 120. 2 1/2 will go 140 to 180 and the 3 1/2 and older will go 180 to well over 250. The northeast kingdom portion of the state which runs along the Quebec and New Hampshire border is all vast but open to hunting paper company land and lightly hunted has the biggest and oldest deer. It is all woods and logging operations with very few ag type land or fields. Throughout most of the state there aren't that any mature deer like out in the mid west. The yearling and 2 1/2 year old deer make up the majority of the harvest with the exception of that Northeast Kingdom area. We have a lot of deer throughout the state but I don't think the F&W department has a very good track record on deer management. It appears at least to me that their major focus is on surviving financially rather than setting a good deer plan into action like some of the other larger states. I am very active both hunting and fishing in all seasons and it has been a few years since I was even license checked by a warden.
I'll add this we get decent weights on deer but the racks aren't usually that great due to poorer mineral content in the soil. Probably the biggest limitation however is the harvest of young deer.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-23-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Good seeing the next generation out and about.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a dandy buck! She should be proud. Congrats
Old 11-23-2021, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
It depends on the part of the state. Average 1 1/2 year old buck will generally field dressed weigh 100 to 120. 2 1/2 will go 140 to 180 and the 3 1/2 and older will go 180 to well over 250. The northeast kingdom portion of the state which runs along the Quebec and New Hampshire border is all vast but open to hunting paper company land and lightly hunted has the biggest and oldest deer. It is all woods and logging operations with very few ag type land or fields. Throughout most of the state there aren't that any mature deer like out in the mid west. The yearling and 2 1/2 year old deer make up the majority of the harvest with the exception of that Northeast Kingdom area. We have a lot of deer throughout the state but I don't think the F&W department has a very good track record on deer management. It appears at least to me that their major focus is on surviving financially rather than setting a good deer plan into action like some of the other larger states. I am very active both hunting and fishing in all seasons and it has been a few years since I was even license checked by a warden.
I'll add this we get decent weights on deer but the racks aren't usually that great due to poorer mineral content in the soil. Probably the biggest limitation however is the harvest of young deer.
Yeah those weights are not far off the weights here. This deer is particularly big in the body....maybe bigger than all but a couple I have ever killed. My buddy killed one the next day with a similar rack(little smaller) but no where near the body size or age. We do pursue older deer not just deer with large antlers.

It does seem like people are learning more and more how to grow large antlers in different parts of the country.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks all....She was pretty exited about this one.

Mom has a 4 deer in the living room rule and her goal remains to make the cut but the competition is pretty stiff and shows no mercy

Last edited by rockport; 11-23-2021 at 08:31 AM.