Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How much wind do you consider too much? >

How much wind do you consider too much?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much wind do you consider too much?

Old 11-18-2021, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default How much wind do you consider too much?

Not taking into account wind direct, curious how many of you will skip a hunt because of high winds. It seems to me that wind has more impact on deer that other weather (rain, snow, etc.). I am curious if there is a set number (20 mph, 30 mph) etc. of wind speed where you decide to not go out. Seems like the times I have gone out when the winds are close to 20 mph the deer just aren't moving and I have a hard time getting out there when I am in the house and can see the trees swaying and hear the wind.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

A lot of my reluctance to go out in the wind comes from my fishing. I fish up to 180 days a year counting ice and open water fishing. I live right on a very large lake so when it is blowing it is not something I can ignore easily. On days when the trees are leaning over and whitecaps are rolling in I stay home. Like you mentioned high wind from my experience means not much deer movement. So today it is around 20 mpg gusting higher so I am here on HNI spending a little time. Since I can hunt any day I want a few days spent in the barn isn't all that bad.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

well for me a lot of things also have to be considered and not just WIND
as there is a big difference in how I hunt based on weather
if i ONLY had tree stands and archery gear to hunt with wind would effect me more than say hunting with a trifle or when hunting off the ground
and then there is to consider is it a STEADY high wind or just BIG gusts of wind
and what is the temp
as I personally find deer prefer to NOT have to move much in the higher winds, unless its VERY cold and they need to feed to have calories to burn
so, like Is aid, I don't have a MPH on wind, alone, it has to all factor in for me to make a call to stay home and NOT hunt, based on weather!

its just not as simple as just "X" MPH and stay home!
Old 11-18-2021, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Where I hunt, if the wind is blowing 30mph or more so that the trees are swaying and small branches are falling, I hunt the laurel swamps. The deer in my area will go there if the wind is high and hunker down in the laurel. It is tough hunting, generally on hands and knees. Usually all I see are deer legs and occasionally a bedded deer. I have been able to sneek right up on them due to the noise from the wind. It is a bear to drag a deer out of the laurels should I be lucky to get one.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't let it cancel my hunting at all since every minute out in the woods is a better chance of taking a deer. I do try t time things for the best conditions if I have something to do; complete the task on a day that conditions are less than ideal.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Generally in the East if the wind is blowing hard the deer aren't moving much. The wind seems to lock them down.

I generally hunt the days I have available, regardless of weather since I'm on limited time. So I adjust what I'm doing to match the weather.

One benefit of high wind is you can use it to your advantage. The wind will blow your scent away, and it makes moving allot easier. The deer won't notice the small sounds and movements if the whole woods is blowing around. I've used wind many times to successfully still hunt close to known bedding areas.

When the wind is high I like to hit the pines, and the valleys that are a little more protected from the wind.

​​​​​​If you're a tree stand Hunter, have a plan for Windy days. Set up somewhere that protects the deer a little bit. If the wind is lasting for a while the deer will HAVE to get up and move eventually. Be there when they do.

A word of caution. Being in the woods when it's windy can be dangerous. Be careful and smart.

-Jake
Old 11-19-2021, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

I don't usually hunt when it's a sustained wind but there aren't many days like that. If it's just wind gusts, then it's fun to still hunt like Jake said.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunt there are lots of dead white ash trees. If the wind is over20mph I do not hunt, those trees come down with no warning. Deer really don't like to move in a sustained wind anyway, it screws up their senses of smell and hearing.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

That's when you can shoot them in their beds!

But you're right. Very dangerous in the woods in the wind.

-Jake
Old 11-19-2021, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It also depends where you are. Here in Vermont, when the wind is 15mph or more it generally isn’t worth going out. Critters are hunkered down. But in other places such as Colorado or Wyoming a 15mph wind is a daily occurrence and just a breeze. Critters are use to it and it doesn’t bother them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.