HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   We got lucky!.... I think.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/427035-we-got-lucky-i-think.html)

Bocajnala 11-15-2021 08:10 PM

We got lucky!.... I think....

Some of you know we got custody of my wife's cousin back in August. He's 14. Brand new to shooting and hunting. I bought him a Savage hog hunter in .350 legend and we've been practicing.

We were out for the PA youth season (antlerless)Saturday back in October and all we saw close enough to shoot was bucks!

A local guy I know called my dad tonight. He was drawn for a youth hunt in southern Ohio but was unable to take his kid. The hunt is transferrable.

So, we get to head down to Salt Fork State park and hunt Saturday and Sunday. The hunt takes place around the lodge, campground, golf course.. Areas regularly closed to hunting. I've heard there's some BIG bucks running around in there.

I'm excited, hope it works out. He'll have a buck and a doe tag. Might get him a bonus doe tag too if we're seeing allot of deer.

I plan on having him shoot the first antlerless deer we see, get him his first deer. And I'll let him decide if he wants to take any buck that comes out or wait trying to get a nicer one.
​​​​​​
updates to come this weekend!

-Jake

​​​​​

Oldtimr 11-16-2021 03:29 AM

:happy0001::happy0001::cool2::rock:

mrbb 11-16-2021 06:36 AM

best of luck to you's

CalHunter 11-16-2021 08:18 AM

Best of luck on the hunt Jake. And thanks for being standup with your wife's cousin. If more people were like that....

Bocajnala 11-16-2021 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4398896)
Best of luck on the hunt Jake. And thanks for being standup with your wife's cousin. If more people were like that....

He's a good kid from a tough situation. Life hasn't been kind to him in his 14 years. The hardest transition has been on my 6 year old daughter.

She had to give up her room and move into a smaller area in the house. But- she's handling it well and everything is going ok so far.

Kid had straight F's at school last year and this first grading period he's got A,A,B,B,C,C.

​​​​​​I told him if he puts in the work and can keep his grades up then we'll do fun things like hunts and four wheeler trips and all that. I was happy to see his grades for the first 9 weeks. He's working hard and taking school seriously for the first time in his life probably.

Hoping he gets rewarded with his first deer this weekend. Wish us luck.

-Jake

DoctorDeath 11-17-2021 06:21 AM

Good luck !

dd

Father Forkhorn 11-17-2021 07:43 AM

100% great! Good luck.

We expect pics!

Bocajnala 11-18-2021 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn (Post 4398928)
100% great! Good luck.

We expect pics!

I hope I get to share some lol!

-Jake

CalHunter 11-18-2021 08:35 AM

Well luck to both of you then. :happy0001:

Phil from Maine 11-18-2021 03:10 PM

I want to commend you for taking everything on like your doing. There’s not a lot of people out there that would be willing to do that..

Now I hope that you both have a great success story to tell us all about.. Best of luck to the both of you!!