Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does blood spook deer

Old 11-09-2003, 02:41 PM

Default does blood spook deer

i shot a 11 point on saturday and the place i have my stand is a perfect funnel. i have another tag and i was wondering if my stand is done for awile. the rut is in full swing and i really want to sit in that stand. has anyone shot a deer and then hunted the same place. iam going tomorrow morning and its only been two days. iam bowhunting, the 11 point was only about 10 yards from the stand when i shot it and only ran about 35 yards so blood is all over close to my stand.

thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 02:52 PM

Default RE: does blood spook deer

The scent of the blood sould have disapated by now. If you gutted the deer close to your stand, you might want to wait a week for the coons and buzzerds to clean up. If not, the area should be fine to hunt. Maybe move your stand if its fesible.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:43 PM

thanks for the info. i really want to sit in that stand i have several others up but it is in a great place. there was alot of blood and the gut pile was only about 35-40 yards from my stand. guess ill try it anyway
Old 11-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

not im my expirience.....me and good ole dad dropped 3 deer in one morning within 3 hours from the same exzact spot....they dont got a clue....then a few days later we went back and dad dropped his second.....they didnt seem to care.......good luck
Old 11-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

I once gutted a doe about 50 yards from my stand. It was traveling with another doe. I left with the doe and my dad went to the stand as soon as I got back to camp. He said he seen a doe sniff all over the gut/blood pile and started smelling further out and around from the pile. I believe it was the second doe looking for the other. He took another deer, within 50 minutes of the doe I took, from the same stand!!
Old 11-10-2003, 06:16 AM

i think its a curious smell to them, my friend shot a messed up spike, gutted it out and drug it for about an 1/8th of a mile through an open field, next morning we had deer tracks right on trail that we drug the deer out from all the way up to the house, atleast 3 diff deer followed it.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:22 AM

I think that the jury is still out on this topic. I would like more guys to post and tell everyone what they think. For years I was told and thought that you should never gut a deer where you want to hunt that same day....or soon after, but after gutting a couple around my stand because I had no other choice. I have seen really no change in deer activity etc... I think that making sure you try and keep human scent to a minimum is the most important thing.