Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Tips or resources for buying gun deer hunting land >

Tips or resources for buying gun deer hunting land

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips or resources for buying gun deer hunting land

Old 05-15-2021, 12:46 AM
Spike

Default Tips or resources for buying gun deer hunting land

Hey guys,

I am a newer deer hunter and I am looking for tips or resources for buying some private hunting land primarily for gun deer hunting but options for bow hunting as well as other small game/ turkey hunting.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

buy as much land as you can, as in acres, the more the better
never ending encroachment as populations grow and expand
being as far away as you can handle from any major town is a PLUS IMO

things to consider , if you want
look at soils in area's your considering, , that is if your planning any thing like food plots
pay attention to which way slopes face, learn about mineral right, if included or not!
check into zoning laws!

also look into water tables for the area's if your planning a cabin and a well , as to city sewer water lines!
this is even more important when building , as pending zoning laws, some require you HAVE to hook up to city water/sewer, unless cabin is build"X" feet from roads!

drive about liked area's and see what a neighbors are like, any farms, all the more so as in Pig farms or like, that have some special odors to deal with!
see if there is a lot of new construction going on in area's
can be a plus or minus
many CITY folks retire and move into more rural area's and then complain about things rural folks do, from hunting.shooting, to just complaining about wildlife!(dealing with this now, old neighbor died and new folks dislike wildlife, yet home is surrounded by a hunting club that has tons of wildlife,, so now complaining about them LOL, not getting any where but again more reasons to have more acres than less IMO, to stay farther away from folks like this!)

learn to know what tree species are and there values, as in TIMBER , ask when was last timbered! can be a lot of money in timber, now more than ever I bet!

also keep in mind flood zones and like natural issues!

keep in mind buying ANY land is an investment, so, IMO< go as large as your budget allows, without hurting your day to day life!

Old 05-15-2021, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

What mrbb said. also, there are Real Estate companies that specialize in land sales for farming, ranching, hunting, etc. Just looking at what they have listed and the intended purpose of that land will give you more understanding of what you're looking for. If you talk with one of those realtors, they can give you an idea of what to expect with regard to zoning, etc. and can maybe steer you to land further out which costs less per acre. You can also look at your state's DFW website to get an idea what game is in what areas, counties, etc. in your state. You have a lot of research to do but it's a fun project.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:39 PM
Spike

Thanks for the tips! I managed to put in an offer on a very nice 40acres now fingers crossed for it to get accepted
Old 05-17-2021, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got any pictures?
Old 05-18-2021, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted as you're accomplishing what each one of us dreams about--owning one's own hunting property.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
Got any pictures?
Originally Posted by CalHunter
Keep us posted as you're accomplishing what each one of us dreams about--owning one's own hunting property.
Update: I got an accepted offer on a 40 acre property in Northern Wisconsin. It is a very beautiful forested property with a stream going through it and about 90% hardwoods. Heading back up there this weekend so I can grab some more pics (I live about 3 hours from the property so it’s a hike to get up there). I will most likely be posting a new thread documenting my journey into transforming this property into my hunting retreat either in this thread group or another one so keep your eyes peeled
Old 05-20-2021, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

well best of luck with the new venture
owning land is a wonderful thing, you can gain a lot of new experiences watching the progress of how you can make it into what you want!