Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Raccoons and deer

Old 01-23-2021, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default Raccoons and deer

So I live on a farm. There are always dozens of deers I see on the property any given day. They have been on my trail camera consistently on the food plot around 6:30 am till about 8 am. Two days ago I witnessed a deer walking up to a raccoon on the plot. That was the first time I’ve ever seen a raccoon out there. Ever since there have been no deers on that trail camera but yet the raccoons have came back last two days. Is this something I can manage or should I hunt a different part now
Old 01-23-2021, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's just a coincidence. Deer and Coons coexist with no problems at all. Many trail cam pictures taken over corn piles show lots of coons and deer in there together.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, that or maybe the food plot isn't that great right now and deer moved off to better food source

deer ain't dumb they like prime food
where a coon is more a scavenger and will eat what ever it needs to , to get by!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Affirming what was said. The racoons in no way scared off the deer.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

They're buddies. No worries.

-Jake
Old 01-24-2021, 05:05 AM
Spike

Racoons and deer have coexisted longer than the US has been around. I wouldn't worry about it.