Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public land buck

Old 12-19-2020, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public land buck

I decided I wanted to try my hand at highly pressured public land from the ground with a bow this year. After about a month of humbling experiences and realizing maybe I'm not as good at this as I thought I manage to get one down. I'm hooked......public land bucks, on the ground, with a bow at 10 yards is intense and a lot of fun.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done, Rockport!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, especially on public land. He looks like he's got some age on him, which is also unusual on public land.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good job. I hunt public land exclusively and I'm fortunate enough to get a buck and a couple doe every year. Much different than sitting on your own personal food plot waiting for your "hit list" buck to show up!
Congratulations Rocky
Old 12-20-2020, 07:15 PM
Spike

I know first hand how hard public land hunting can be, and it's even harder to find mature bucks in them let alone in the day light. Good job! Seeing him at 10 yards must've almost gave you a heart attack!
Old 12-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Good job. I hunt public land exclusively and I'm fortunate enough to get a buck and a couple doe every year. Much different than sitting on your own personal food plot waiting for your "hit list" buck to show up!
Congratulations Rocky
Definitely a different game, The biggest difference for me was not being to use an atv and hang permanent stands.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mihajlo Simsic
I know first hand how hard public land hunting can be, and it's even harder to find mature bucks in them let alone in the day light. Good job! Seeing him at 10 yards must've almost gave you a heart attack!
He actually followed the script pretty well so I was not surprised.......maybe a little surprised it actually worked but he did exactly what I expected. The big surprise was as I adjusted a little to get the sights on him a bigger buck(not a lot bigger but definitely bigger) stepped out from the same thicket this one just came from and had me pegged.

At that moment I had this buck dead in the rights at 10 yards and another bigger buck a few yards behind him that had just picked up my slight movement. I briefly weighed my options and let it fly thinking if I got greedy I was likely to end up with nothing.

It was an intense experience for sure.

The night before I got busted and made a fool of by a spike buck. Things can sure turn around in a hurry both good and bad.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a side note the ole slick trick worked him over pretty good. Double lung right above the heart.

and he was running leaving that blood the whole way not walking or standing...the blood was just pouring out

Last edited by rockport; 12-20-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
He actually followed the script pretty well so I was not surprised.......maybe a little surprised it actually worked but he did exactly what I expected. The big surprise was as I adjusted a little to get the sights on him a bigger buck(not a lot bigger but definitely bigger) stepped out from the same thicket this one just came from and had me pegged.

At that moment I had this buck dead in the rights at 10 yards and another bigger buck a few yards behind him that had just picked up my slight movement. I briefly weighed my options and let it fly thinking if I got greedy I was likely to end up with nothing.

It was an intense experience for sure.

The night before I got busted and made a fool of by a spike buck. Things can sure turn around in a hurry both good and bad.
Good move by taking this guy instead, you don't get to choose in the woods. Now it's time to go for the bigger one! If you have any tags left of course lol.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Spike

Congrats on a job well done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.