HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Daughters first buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/424508-daughters-first-buck.html)

rockport 11-24-2020 06:06 PM

Daughters first buck

She had a heck of a time with buck fever. She has been killing doe now problem for a few years but boy did we find out she has major buck fever. She missed a 160 inch buck first morning and this buck was the 3rd one in range Saturday evening. I kept telling her you gotta get it done because your not going to just keep getting chances and the deer proved me way wrong. Fourth chance at a buck in 2 days and she finally got it done. Not much comes easy to her but she is very successful anyway because giving up is something she just does not understand. She absolutely has no idea how to quit at anything.

TN Lone Wolf 11-24-2020 07:43 PM

Congrats to the young huntress!

zcilahim 11-24-2020 08:34 PM

Awesome! What a great way to start. That 160” buck will be waiting for her next year but he will be 175”!

Rob in VT 11-25-2020 03:41 AM

Nice buck! Congrats to you both.

Oldtimr 11-25-2020 04:53 AM

Congrats to her, what a first buck.:cool2:

mrbb 11-25-2020 05:46 AM

congrats to her on a fine buck and I hope its the first of many more to come for her!

Bocajnala 11-25-2020 07:42 AM

I think she's got a good teacher Rock. I expect many more big ones in the future for her.

Question: did you intentionally start her out on doe? Or just hadn't previously had a chance at a buck?

​​​​​​-Jake

rockport 11-25-2020 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4384310)
I think she's got a good teacher Rock. I expect many more big ones in the future for her.

Question: did you intentionally start her out on doe? Or just hadn't previously had a chance at a buck?

​​​​​​-Jake

Kind of, we would have shot big bucks but we setup for easy shooting situations which usually presents doe and very small buck shots(she didn't want 4 or 6 point 1 year old bucks but I think she should have shot them). This year we were after good bucks and at 11 it was still sketchy. Fri and Sat I could have shot 3 bucks from 140-160 inches but she wasn't able to get it done.

They don't make a good shotgun that fits her so its chaos if they don't present a shot where we want them to. The bigger bucks were in her range they just were not willing to allow her the time to get on them. Kind of a situation where the more mature the deer is the less room for error.

Turns out this buck met our skill level leaving her a lot of room for error. I'd say we need to get at least one more buck in this class under her belt unless of course we get lucky.

Its kind of a double edge sword, I'm glad she has the passion to produce buck fever but its definitely a struggle and the more she messed up the worse the nerves got.

Father Forkhorn 11-27-2020 02:38 AM

Congrats to you Rockport!

My grand nephew got a first deer a couple of weeks ago. He'll be at his grandpa's in a couple of days where I can call him and let him tell me all the details. If I'm proud of him, I can only imagine your pride as father.

elkman30 11-27-2020 09:33 AM

Congrats! Nice buck.