Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Rifled barreled shotgun vs Muzzleloader? >

Rifled barreled shotgun vs Muzzleloader?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifled barreled shotgun vs Muzzleloader?

Old 11-13-2020, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Im one of those that use a ML during rifle most of the time. I too am in Illinois. I mostly hunt with an old Renegade side lock percussion loaded up with my own conical bullets on top of Swiss. I do have a custom smokeless ML that will easily do the job out to 300+ yards but my old renegade and I have taken so many deer together I feel like Im cheating on her if I use anything else. I have several other side locks but she is my go to rifle.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Im one of those that use a ML during rifle most of the time. I too am in Illinois. I mostly hunt with an old Renegade side lock percussion loaded up with my own conical bullets on top of Swiss. I do have a custom smokeless ML that will easily do the job out to 300+ yards but my old renegade and I have taken so many deer together I feel like Im cheating on her if I use anything else. I have several other side locks but she is my go to rifle.
I've had my ML for 15 years and it has always been "ON". if I change sabots the ML seems to shoot everything well (I love guns that do that). It has one the best single stage triggers of anything I own, and it's a crime I've never take a deer with it. The Mossberge 500 with the rifled barrel was just setup and sighted in like a week ago, I haven't had a chance to work with it much. It has one of the worst triggers of anything I own. Both of those guns need to kill a deer for the first time.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote would be for the shotgun for reasons along these lines:.

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Where you hunting at Mike? Ohio used to be slug or muzzleloader only but now allows some rifles as well.

All things being equal the shotgun is the "better" choice for killing deer because it gives you a quicker second shot if needed. Hopefully you don't need it- but sometimes you do.

And before somebody says "I don't need it, I've never needed a second shot in 78 years of hunting.." that's great, congratulations. AND... Sometimes it's still needed.

​​​​​​I use a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season. Some people like to use a muzzleloader in gun season, and that's just fine too. They like to use it, like the extra challenge, it shoots better than anything else they own etc. Lots of possible reasons.

But if all other things are equal, the 'better' choice would be the shotgun.

-Jake
Old 11-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Long standing hunters wisdom dictates to hunt with what you shoot the best. It is the first shot that counts, and where you put it. I always felt I could shoot my ML (with a scope) far more accurately than my shotgun...which I could shoot very well. And like you said, it is what you have the most ammo for.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

imo if i had to choose between a shotgun or muzzleloader in which 1 time in ohio it was shotgun muzzy or handgun.i choose the muzzleloader. but got involved with the handgun& used them allot. i justed enjoyed the muzzy better over the shotgun.but now in ohio we can use straightwalled cartridges & i've them since they were aloud. but this year i must use a handgun due to the port that in my right shoulder due to cancer which my last treatment is next week. but going back to your question use what you like the best
Old 11-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mikescooling
The muzzleloader is the one I enjoy shooting more (by a lot). I am using BlackHorne 209 powder, and Hornady SST sabots. I can shoot the muzzleloader as much as I want for the next 5 years and will not run out of powder or sabots. On the other hand, I have 20 rounds of Hornady SST 12 gauge sabot's shotgun shells and that is it! I'm not sure I can get any more, I need to save those for hunting. Yeah the shogun has the fire power edge. The shotgun ammo cost $2.50 per cartridge, the cost of shotgun sabots slugs alone make me not want to shoot it. I'm in IL and can only use shotgun or ML
A good cheaper sabot slug ammo for shotguns would be the Federal Power Shok Sabot slugs. I bought a box of them at Cabelas for $8.50 per box. Pretty good cheaper alternative to SST, Accu tips, coppersolids, lightfields, etc..
Old 11-18-2020, 04:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mikescooling
On the other hand, I have 20 rounds of Hornady SST 12 gauge sabot's shotgun shells and that is it! I'm not sure I can get any more
I have seen the Hornady SST sabot slugs in plentiful supply at Dunham's in Michigan.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I've considered this in the past. If I lived in a state that did not allow rifles for deer hunting, and if I wasn't a handgun hunter, I'd go with a muzzleloader over a slug gun. Besides the fact that it would allow me to hunt during muzzleloader seasons in addition to gun seasons, I've found modern inlines to be 1.5 to 1 MOA capable with a bullet/sabot/powder combination they like. With a 120 to 150 grain powder charge and the appropriate bullet, they've got more than enough power to kill a deer out to 300 yards if you can account for the drop.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

I've used both and now prefer my ML. I have been able to get rifle level accuracy using BH209 and my CVA Optima (1" or better groups at 100). If I was just starting I would probably go with shotgun. I like to reload and messing with the ML using different powders, bullets, sabots etc, to get the best accuracy is fun to me. Its taken a few years of playing with bullet selection, sabot selection and powder selection to get the accuracy I wanted.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:57 PM
Spike

I'm going through the same debate here in NJ. I have had a lot of success with my Mossberg 500 shooting Remington sabots; but at $15.00 for 5; I'm about done. Muzzleloaders are cheaper to shoot and a just as efficient as slugs. It's just going to mean more time at the range playing with loads and projectiles......having a tough time finding a negative side to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.