Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
2 3/4 inch vs 3 inch buck for deer >

2 3/4 inch vs 3 inch buck for deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 3/4 inch vs 3 inch buck for deer

Old 11-09-2020, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

again its not recommended, and the reason is as you get smaller chokes, they squish things and that can cause erratic shot patterns and worse case scenario, cause a bind and blow the end of the barrel open on you!
this is why many times things can get worse not better, but as stated, your gun your life, your call!
Old 11-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
again its not recommended, and the reason is as you get smaller chokes, they squish things and that can cause erratic shot patterns and worse case scenario, cause a bind and blow the end of the barrel open on you!
this is why many times things can get worse not better, but as stated, your gun your life, your call!
Ok. Now that I think about it, yeah it's probably not a good idea to shoot buckshot thru a turkey choke(except maybe #4 buck) I tried my shotgun with slugs this afternoon. Got 3 shots cloverleaf at 50 yards with a rifled CHOKE and just a single bead sight. Guess I'll use that for opening day until I can get more buckshot. I'll just have to be picky about my shots when the dogs are running.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

not sure what shotgun your using, but many models have quick set up scope mounts that can be added to them, and removed just as easy, and can make a shotgun with a bead a LOT more accurate, a good LOW magnification scope is nice for closer shots and accuracy
I honestly am NOT fan of buckshot on deer period, or running deer shots, but do know it can be done, its just not for me,
slugs can knock down deer way better than buck shot IF you hit vitals IMO< or even LARGE bones
as you said, just pick your shots well, non one says you HAVE to shoot at every deer in range, so, being more picky is good for both you /deer and Dogs IMO
just remember a slug will travel farther thru things than buck shot will, so watch your backgrounds
Old 11-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I've shot deer with allot of different things.

Slugs hammer them.

-Jake
Old 11-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

I have to second the idea your better off using SLUGS in a shotgun designed to maximize their use,
when hunting deer a savage bolt action in 12 ga can keep consistent 3" 100 yard groups
with the sabot ammo
(rifled barrel) THIS SAVAGE IS AN EXCELLENT GUN
these bolt action shotguns have rifled bore designed to stabilize slugs YES THERES A LOWER RECOIL 20GA VERSION

if your using buckshot a 10 ga tends to throw noticeably tighter groups in my experience than any 12 ga
and throws 18 OO copper plated pellets into an effective tight group out to at least 40 yards in my ithaca road blocker

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002079456

the Ithaca 10 ga road blocker holds two in the magazine and one in the chamber , the legal max for some areas.
its very effective, inside 40 yards , Ive used one for decades.

if you want a reasonably consistent way to judge at what range double OO buck shot will be effective on deer or hogs,
place a single sheet of typing paper horizontally at 20 yards and fire a shot at it, if you have at least 5-6 holes someplace on the paper you can be reasonably confident that it's effective, now back off 5 yards and repeat, , back off 5 yards after each success, this extended range and test,
after each successful buckshot shells are shot and tested, is a reasonable test that places those 5-6 holes in the paper.
yes, you'll occasionally see guys drop deer at longer ranges, but far more will result in long trailing jobs or lost wounded deer in my experience,
you're still in effective range, once you reach a range where less than 5-6 holes in that sheet of paper are consistently there... your past the effective range,

now obviously a 9 pellet 2 3/4" 12 ga buckshot load is at a distinct disadvantage to a 12 pellet 3" shell or a 3.5" 10 ga with 18 pellets

and why I prefer a 10 ga ithaca if I hunt dense cover in fla swamps,for hogs and deer.

and yes different shotguns pattern loads differently, but in our hunt club this test has consistently shown to be valid in results seen on game.
yeah, you'll rapidly find that your buckshot loaded shotgun is only effective at a limited range thats more than likely LESS than you might have envisioned!

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-12-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
not sure what shotgun your using, but many models have quick set up scope mounts that can be added to them, and removed just as easy, and can make a shotgun with a bead a LOT more accurate, a good LOW magnification scope is nice for closer shots and accuracy
I honestly am NOT fan of buckshot on deer period, or running deer shots, but do know it can be done, its just not for me,
slugs can knock down deer way better than buck shot IF you hit vitals IMO< or even LARGE bones
as you said, just pick your shots well, non one says you HAVE to shoot at every deer in range, so, being more picky is good for both you /deer and Dogs IMO
just remember a slug will travel farther thru things than buck shot will, so watch your backgrounds
I'm using a Remington 870 express 12 gauge. I do have a Weaver No-Gunsmith scope mount and a Axeon red dot sight. I had it on my 870 but took it off for a rabbit hunt (long story short I didn't go that's just life I guess). I cant put it back on because gun season is this Saturday and its supposed to rain for the rest of today and into tomorrow(I don't have a covered bench), so I cant sight it in. When I did sight it in I had a similar result with a slightly tighter group. Also found some #4 buck shells in the back of the closet. Patterned them a few days ago and at 20 yards 17 of the 27 pellets were in a 8" inch circle the remaining 10 were about 6 inches further from the center. That was with full choke. But I'll probably use the slugs and see if I can do some quick sighting during break in the rain if theres one.

Last edited by Whitetailturkey01; 11-12-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

when I used to hunt a lot of slug /shotgun only places, at first I started with a 11/87, and a cylinder choke, I then bought a rifled choke tube and it helped, but wasn't happy, so I went to a rifled barrel, this way I could just swap barrels if I wanted to use for small game(bird shot) things held zero pretty well,too, but always doubled check
then I got more serious about slug guns and had a custom 11/78 made with a pinned barrels,, a full sized rifle scope(4.5x14x40mm) and it shoots really tiny groups at a 100 yards for a slug gun
so, since the 870 is such a super popular gun, you might want to invest in a second barrel for it, if you pl;an to hunt with in on both deer/small game, , makes life a lot easier to swap barrels and then you always know what works in BOTH barrels!
then again, 870's ain't that costly , all the more so in used one's
might be worth just adding a second shotgun to things, one set up for both , maybe not this yr, but thoughts for down the road for you !

as for rain, YEAH it sucks shooting in it, but I have done so many times, I found a umbrella can help a lot in making it more fun, so can wearing good waterproof clothing, , also food for thought!

and
best of luck to you on your upcoming hunt!