Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wolves on our hunting land

Old 10-23-2020, 02:39 PM
Spike

Default Wolves on our hunting land

On the leased land I used to hunt about on up until last year a wolf pack moved down the center of Wisconsin from up north around 2010 and took residence on our land (120 acres for six of us). Those early years we saw the wolves but they were spooked by us and sightings were rare. As the years went by and they got more intrenched on the land they have become MUCH more bold. The guys that bowhunt on the land have all begun carrying handguns when going in and out of the land. One friend was surrounded by the pack and had to fire a few shots before they left. They were stalking him. The last year I hunted there i was walking in alone during November gun deer hunting and one ripped out a howl not 20 yards from me in the brush. It adds a little more excitement to the hunt for sure. And to the DNR and all these experts that say they won't bother you I say BS! I read one article by an expert on wolves that stated that they WILL get bolder after a few years. I no longer hunt there even though it was a buck paradise. Anyone else enjoying wolves with your deer hunting? I have some pics some of the guys got of them but can't find them.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idaho sells wolf tags. I'm guessing Wisconsin doesn't?
Old 10-24-2020, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've got em in the neighborhood. There's a large tract across the road from our land. It's an area about 3 x 4 miles without roads. The wolves seem to pretty much stay in that area but occasionally come into our land. When they do, the deer seem to move out, but when they leave, the deer move back in. We've never had them bother us. Every time I get a chance, I pee on their territorial markers just to let them know that we're contesting their claim.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
We've got em in the neighborhood. There's a large tract across the road from our land. It's an area about 3 x 4 miles without roads. The wolves seem to pretty much stay in that area but occasionally come into our land. When they do, the deer seem to move out, but when they leave, the deer move back in. We've never had them bother us. Every time I get a chance, I pee on their territorial markers just to let them know that we're contesting their claim.
Adams county? Marquette county? Our land was in Marquette county close to Westfield.

And the state won't sell wolf tags.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:12 PM
Spike

I found the pics that some of the bowhunters on the land took. The "alpha" was a huge black one that we would see while deer hunting.
Attached Thumbnails Wolves on our hunting land-wolf1.jpg   Wolves on our hunting land-wolf4.jpg   Wolves on our hunting land-wolf5.jpg   Wolves on our hunting land-wolf6.jpg  
Old 10-25-2020, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Popgunshooter
Adams county? Marquette county? Our land was in Marquette county close to Westfield.
North and west of you. Clark/Jackson county line. Didn't know you had them in Marquette.

Last edited by Wingbone; 10-25-2020 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:12 PM
Spike

Here's a couple maps. Our land is in the north west corner of Marquette county.

Attached Thumbnails Wolves on our hunting land-2016_wolf_detection.pdf   Wolves on our hunting land-img_3031.jpg  
Old 10-27-2020, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Notice the amount of little yellow circles on the Clark/Jackson county line area.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

wingbone ! I own 40 acres near Bruce Mound ! Since 1990 at present we have 2 pacs of wolves, personal experience , not a guess, 1 pack of 6 the other pac is 4, when they come into area all critters are messed up as far as daily patterns, couple days after they move on things go back to normal, last years saw a deer drive made by the 6 pac ! Also very little turkey, squirrels and partridge ion area !
Old 10-28-2020, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grouch55
wingbone ! I own 40 acres near Bruce Mound ! Since 1990 at present we have 2 pacs of wolves, personal experience , not a guess, 1 pack of 6 the other pac is 4, when they come into area all critters are messed up as far as daily patterns, couple days after they move on things go back to normal, last years saw a deer drive made by the 6 pac ! Also very little turkey, squirrels and partridge ion area !
Our cabin is a couple miles east of Hatfield and my cousin's son lives across the road from the ski hill entrance. A couple of years ago, the pack moved into our hunting land. The deer and turkeys moved out. It was a quiet season that year. When the wolves moved out, they moved back in. Since then, the pack pretty much stays across the road, and we stay on our side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.