Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Revolver deer hunting

Old 10-17-2020, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Practice, practice and more practice. Buy a target with a deer on it and aim for the sweet spot instead of a bullseye.
Come on Oldtimr. Don't the deer you hunt have bulls eyes on them? LOL
I'm sure Jake knows how to shoot a handgun. He's pretty proficient now but just needs to build up his confidence with the big boomer.
I've taken a couple deer with handguns over the years. Sure is easier to drag them out without that long gun getting in your way. I would usually put mine in my backpack while dragging.
I'm currently trying to find myself a nice Ruger Super Redhawk at a fair price since I went and sold my S&W 29 for a price offer I couldn't resist.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

It's allot different than shooting my duty pistol, that's for sure. I am pretty good with a Ruger single six I have, I used to shoot that one allot. Including squirrel and rabbit. So I'm trying to transfer those skills over to the .44 mag..

Got some more rounds in today shooting milk jugs out to 50 yards. Deer are in trouble if I get one in range.

-Jake
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

i've taken deer out to 100 yrds with my t/c encore. but that was back a few years ago. now with my medical condition i'm limiting myself to no more than 30 yards.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thirty yards is my limit as well. The closer the better.

-jake
Old 10-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Jake, if I remember correctly you reload. If you can find them, and I have found at times it is really hard, load up some speer deep curl 240 grain. They are deadly accurate out of my blackhawk and they are very deep penetrating doing excellent damage. I myself have taken several whitetail with them and the old man took quite a few himself. Next was the gold dots, But if you do find some deep curls, you need to load them down a bit under normal as the pressure on them seems to spike a bit quicker. The gold dots are fine pressure wise. The hornady interlock 265gr was a fantastic hitter but it's been discontinued. I have no clue why.
Now as to your yardage limitation, I am assuming that is for your own ability limits because I and the old man both have taken whitetail with .44 mags out to a little over 75 yards with no issue of penetration power. Now granted, on longer shots, we went for lung shots avoiding the shoulder. So if it is the power you are worried about in limiting yourself to 30 yards, you can double that. But if it is you limiting yourself to a skill level, never shoot beyond your confidence because wounding an animal is heartbreaking to any true hunter.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

It's skill level. I've taken a handful of deer with a marlin .44mag. thirty yards is just what I'm comfortable shooting at game with the revolver right now.

​​​​​​Thanks for the loading advice. I do handload. And plan on starting for the .44 but it won't be for this fall. I'll keep those in mind though.

-Jake
Old 10-21-2020, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Got the new grips on it. It looks MUCH better and feels better. Hoping the shooting improves as well.

-Jake
Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

those are some really nice grips there jake. the grips on the 44 i will are pacmar. i have narrowed down the ammo i will be using. it comes down to 3 factory loads 1 is the platnium winchester 250 gr #2 will be the hornady 300 gr xtp's & just got some of the 44 handgun hunter ammo in the 200 grain weight. will shoot all 3 & see which groups & performs best
Old 11-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

i have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and a Blackhawk in 41 mag. both of then have Pachmyr grips on them. make them both more enjoyable to shoot. especially on the web between the thumb and fore finger.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Spike

I've take one deer with a Ruger BH, it did a great job, lots of power, DRT. It's a great up close gun. As I get older and my eyes get older I lean towards the scoped long guns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.