Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dragging Deer/ Question

Old 11-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dragging Deer/ Question

The crazy carpets do work well both on snow and grass.They are also very light and compact to carry.I use a holepunch and punch holes along the outer edges so I can use cord to tie the animal to the crazy carpet.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I thinking of making something with wheels, I have a good clear path cut around the land and once I get the deer on that path its clear, there' s just plenty of hills to climb.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Log

I also use those cheap plastic sled you can by at wall-mart or any toy store. they work great w/ or w/o snow! they also double as a good container for holding the blood if you leave the deer in the sled when it is in the back of your truck on the way home....also it helps to load and unload if you are by yourself. drop the tailgate lift one end up on the tailgate and set it down oon the tailgate. go around to the other end and simply pick up the other end and slide it right on in the bed of the truck! other than that a good quad works well...lol
Old 11-07-2003, 01:47 PM
M38
Spike

I hunt public land and usually have to drag my deer 1 to 2 miles. I use a deer slay and it helps but I hate carrying a rooled up plastic tube into the woods, every branch is scrapes makes that o so natural sound... I exercise three times a week and " walk the stairs" at lunch at work - I work on the 11th floor and go down to the bottom & back up at least twice. Trust me getting in the best shape you can really helps.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

My favorite tool for getting deer out of the woods is my cell phone. Call two of the biggest guys you know and let them drag the deer while you carry your gear. It may cost you a case of beer but that is a bargain. I am 6' 2" 215 lbs. and in shape but was recently whooped by a deer getting him out of the woods. The problem was that he outweighed me, no snow, uphill, and I left my cell phone in the car. Once I caught my breath enough to talk I called two guys to help me lift him into the truck. Being in great shape helps some but a sled and some snow is the hot ticket. I hunt on public land up north and have to drag them over 1/2 mile through the swamp and won' t do it without my drag harness and sled.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

that drags nothing....we drag about 2 miles no lie...it takes us about 30 mins 1 way to get to our spot and we really move...no break no slow walking....weve never used anything but a rope to drag out.....and leaving the deer or equiptment behind isnt an option....its state game lands.....someone would jack something id bet..we just take our time dragging out and we always have lots of water...shooting them is the easy part.....our drags arent bad they are on a trail then a gasline cut...but the grass is high and thick which holds the deer back......last year we shot 3 in one morning....thank god we had alot of fresh snow....ones you get moving htey came right along....i drug my buck...dad drug my huge doe and his yearling...i guess he didnt want me to kill myself dragging both mine....i would have....it would been dragging about 350lbs or so but i would done it....my dad wants to buy a deer cart....he can do what he wants....personally i dont think lugging it in is worth the little bit it will help on the way out.....but im 16 and pretty strong...hes strong but was hit on his motorcycle a few years ago and now his leg kills him sometimes and he can use a little help.....and a quad or anything isnt an option on stategame lands we hunt...we see alot of deer and usually have something to drag out so i think its worht it apposed to hunting close to the road like everyone else not seeing much.....i thought about a sled of some sort....even a thick plastic sheet type sled just to make them glide easier...i still might get one some time but looks like im dragging this year too......oh well....we just take our time...when we make it out we make it out....last year it took about 3 hours....one deer takes about and hour an a half or so....one thing that helps is we find a big thick straight tree to put through the rope and both of use can drag if we only get 1 or 2....3 it was too much wieght and too hard for use to do that....1 it makes it alot easier....i still put a big stick throughmy rope to pull on....good luck
Old 11-07-2003, 03:02 PM

Oh,to be 16 again or even in my 20' s
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

the best thing i have come across yet is an invention my dad made after seeing one in a mag for like 250$$.

he took a hand truck and put wood bottom and sides on it. then he put bicycle tires on it on mag wheels. then he spraypainted it. we leave it in our private property. i am 17 and have wheeled out 2 deer at the same time with it. it is really nice to have. the only time it doesnt work very well is when there is alot of rain.

when you get to the truck, simply put the handles on the tailgate and pick it up near the wheels. this is super easy and prevents blood from getting all in your bed.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plastic tarp
Old 11-08-2003, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a folding game cart from Cabelas for less than $100. I just leave it in my truck during hunting season. When I have a deer I go to the truck, leave my gear and excess clothes and wheel the cart to the deer. Simple matter of loading it up and pulling it out. No deer is worth a heart attack!

Quick Reply: Dragging Deer/ Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.