Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is the best way to spook a deer? >

What is the best way to spook a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the best way to spook a deer?

Old 06-20-2020, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've spooked them, oftentimes it is an odd sound, something not of the forest. Like resting your rifle on wood, that clunk will often spook them. I put indoor outdoor carpet on the rails of all my shooting towers. Hitting your rifle butt on something will do it. I've spooled them just by putting my safety from safe to fire. All it takes sometimes is any odd sound not common to the forest.
One thing I've watched other hunters do is to try to look in different directions quickly. Whipping your head around not only spooks them with the motion, but the flash of your pale face also stands out even at night.
Not much I can do about my scent even using precautions, you have to breathe and Deer can smell parts per billion. I move to my shooting stand really slow and as quiet as possible.
My assumption is often Deer know you are around within a 3-400 yard circle. Not only their senses are attuned, but they also notice when a bird sounds the alarm and other subtle things, they are attuned to their surroundings. IMO most of it is if they consider you a threat or not. If they spooked at every event, a leaf rustling, a twig falling from a tree, grass brushing together they would be running all the time. I figure their noses are at least as sensitive as my dogs and he can smell a Fox at four hundred yards.
I once fell asleep in a shooting tower and when I woke up there were fourteen Deer standing 30-40 yards in front of me. I'd been in that tower for hours and hadn't seen squat, obviously, when I was active they noticed, when I was inactive they relaxed. Learning to sit still and not fidget is a big part of it.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

O K O K Heres my tip. I run green colored nylon string from my ladder stands to leafy bushes or tree branches 30 to 50 yards away, When I need to leave with deer present I pull on string to make bush or branch shake, works like a charm, deer do not look in my direction, I believe they think its some sort of critter !
Old 06-20-2020, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Really, you do that? Ridiculous.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:45 PM
Spike

Here's my tip(sP

If (like most of us) you are forced to wear blaze orange that is like a light bulb to them. Even camo blaze. So I get up in my stand I take off the blaze. I'm on private land so wardens can't say anything if I'm in a blind. And this especially includes the blaze hat.

They always say smoking scares them but I've seen as many deer smoking as I have when I didn't. I think it hides my smelly pits maybe. A skunk or fox scent might help too. I've had poor results with deer scents.

No movement. Sit still. Movement is the first thing they're looking for, even if you're up high.

As far as taking the safety off I've always grabbed it with two fingers so it can't "click".

And I keep quiet. No deer calls etc. If you aren't a deer you don't sound like a deer.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, fluorescent orange does not spook deer! I love when people think they are putting something by the wardens. One day they will get you, private land or not. I do not know one state where wardens cannot go onto private property.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:11 PM
Spike

Sneeze! Works most of the times.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

BS, troll alert.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
BS, troll alert.
In this case, I don't think so.

But who knows.