Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

getting basic handgun skills

Old 07-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Like any weapon, become proficient with a handgun takes a lot of practice. It's definitely makes it easier when you can put on a scope and rest it on something solid, again, like any other weapon. Don't assume that a pistol is inherently inaccurate. I'd dare to say that most decently built handguns are as accurate as rifles of similar build quality.

How's .589" at 100 yards with a 221 Fireball and tailored handloads?

1.28" at 100 while breaking in a 460 Encore with cheap factory fodder?

How about 5-shot sub-MOA accuracy with a 460 S&W revolver?

Old 07-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Spike

Default Getting basic handgun skills

I learned how to shoot a revolver with the military police in the 70's. Back then they did not use automatics for safety reasons. I once shot a nice buck with a .357 magnum,
in the heart, at 20 yds, and it ran 100 before screeching to a halt. But I would recommend a 41 or 44 caliber, ported barrel, six to eight inches with a good scope. Due to
his age now I would just start him right off with this rig instead of beginning with a 22 or 38 special. Get him low recoil loads to start with and work up to a hunting load.
The key is to practice, practice, practice, something he can do a lot with indoor ranges. When hunting deer or hogs I would limit shots to 75 yds or less. In other words,
like bow hunting, it's all about getting close. Due not my age I do not care to hunt with handguns, but I could see where it would be a lot of fun for a younger guy. Oh, one
more thing, get a good chest/shoulder holster for hunting. Much easier to hunt with than trying to sit down with the "hogleg" pinned to your waist. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

yeah that suggestion to use a shoulder or chest holster does have a lot of merits

I used a 21 grain charge of H110 under a LEE 310 grain hard cast 44 cal. bullet seated out to the lower crimp groove
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...cf-430-diameter-310-grain-flat-nose-gas-check
MOLD DC C 430-310-RF

with a 500 mag revolver
just a bit of info on these lee "440 grain" 500 S&W bullet molds ,

with the gas check and lube on these cast bullets,
at least using my 95% WW alloy and 5% tin, mix,
the projectiles actually weigh about 470 grains
they are quite accurate (WITH THE GAS CHECKS)
http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/500-s-w...tor-gas-checks
the best load for accuracy, after a great deal of testing.. 20 grains of blue dot
Its certainly not a max load
but its very accurate and it certainly hammers hogs

YES IT REQUIRES a shoulder holster to use comfortably

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-04-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:08 PM
Spike

Yeah, that's the ticket!
Old 07-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Wifeshusband
I learned how to shoot a revolver with the military police in the 70's. Back then they did not use automatics for safety reasons. I once shot a nice buck with a .357 magnum,
in the heart, at 20 yds, and it ran 100 before screeching to a halt. But I would recommend a 41 or 44 caliber, ported barrel, six to eight inches with a good scope. Due to
his age now I would just start him right off with this rig instead of beginning with a 22 or 38 special. Get him low recoil loads to start with and work up to a hunting load.
The key is to practice, practice, practice, something he can do a lot with indoor ranges. When hunting deer or hogs I would limit shots to 75 yds or less. In other words,
like bow hunting, it's all about getting close. Due not my age I do not care to hunt with handguns, but I could see where it would be a lot of fun for a younger guy. Oh, one
more thing, get a good chest/shoulder holster for hunting. Much easier to hunt with than trying to sit down with the "hogleg" pinned to your waist. Good luck.

The military did not use semi automatic handguns for safety reasons?? You arr a troll ho doesn't know squat and are full of crap! In the 70's the standard sidearm was a semi auto pistol, not a revolver.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The military did not use semi automatic handguns for safety reasons?? You arr a troll ho doesn't know squat and are full of crap! In the 70's the standard sidearm was a semi auto pistol, not a revolver.
You're not bullying a new member are you? You know I have a thing for people bullying new members right?

Lay off.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...i-auto-pistols

-Jake
Old 07-04-2020, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not at all, simply stating the truth, I do not like pretense, I would think you would know that by now.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Being wrong about something does not make one a troll, or full of crap. It's possible to be wrong, and be a good person. It's possible to be wrong about something and still "know squat".

I'm sure we've both been there before.

-Jake
Old 07-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...i-auto-pistols

I think Bocajnala has this one right, especially after reading his linked article. Calling somebody a "troll ho" may be a misspelling but sure isn't very polite. Saying they are full of crap when they said they were trained with a revolver in the service in the 70's seems pretty harsh. Not to start a flamewar or anything but were you in the service in the 70's? If so, which one? Were you in all 5 services in the 70's? Or even familiar with the weapons of all 5 services in the 70's? I was in the Marines in the 70's. We had old, old Colt Government 45's in the different units I was assigned to. We still had a few M-14's in the armory that were used for match shooting. I have some idea of what was in the Marines inventory back then but have no idea what other services were using, let alone what specialized units like the Air Force K9's were using. I read about the Marines switching to 9mm pistols in 1985 but some specialized units were still using 45's as late as 2015 and Marine Recon still has some 45's in their inventory. So what is your military background and/or knowledge base on military pistols which seem to be all over the map? Not trying to be a jerk but it seems like you're wrong on your response to the new member and maybe ought to admit it. Her explanation seems to be legit.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

And he may be a troll, OT typically has a good eye for identifying those that are.

But certainly not based on that post.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.