Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting With Dog

Old 05-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
well I am NOT against using dogs where legally allowed(so please don;t take this as a bash against doing so)

as I get its tradition to many still and so be it, but to say that using a dog to hunt deer is NO different than to use a DOG to hunt rabbits, squirrels and even bears and so on , this is NOT true at all
a DOG many breeds, can out run a deer to to the point they can kill the deer from exhaustion alone the deer will NOT be able to recover from being chased, whether you HUNT and kill "X" deer or not!
dogs many breeds just have higher endurance levels than whitetail deer do, so they can kill just by the chase and not need the hunter to cause its death!
and your NOT going to see that happen using a dog to hunt rabbits, squirrels, or bears or any other species I know of for that matter!
MAYBE coyotes that have less endurance and cannot climb a tree to get away!? ??(and yes some coyotes can climb tree's just as some dogs can too, but its not there strong point!

and this see why it IS LEGAL to shoot dogs in so many states chasing deer.
yet not for chasing other things!

and sorry to OP for getting off topic here too with above!

so, back on topic to the OP
whether or not you can use a GSP to hunt dogs, again first off comes down to if legal in your hunting area
next will be the age of the dog in question and its desires and YOUR skill sets, and or who ever you wish so TRAIN the dog to hunt deer
the species I gather is NOT the normal breed for deer hunting, but it is a hunting dog breed, so, if blood lines and its drive and desire to do so, and you put forth the right amount and skills of training I am sure you can teach the dog to hunt deer
I will caution, that doing so, might also, cause you to not be able to use the dog to hunt upland game or waterfowl, as most dogs trained to hunt deer Have known of, were never able to switch back and forth between upland/waterfowl and deer!
so again, time patience and drive in the dog is what will really come down to, on if your dog can be made to hunt deer or not!(and if legal of course)
Yes some dogs can run down deer like some dogs can run bears or raccoons. I have yet in many years hunting seen a dog used for deer hunting run down and kill a deer. Why is it not OK to use GPS for deer dogs but it is for bear, raccoon and even rabbits? Most dogs used for deer hunting ARE trained to hunt deer. Just by your statements there is a question of how much you truly know about hunting deer with dogs and whether you have any actual experience in this area.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Yes some dogs can run down deer like some dogs can run bears or raccoons. I have yet in many years hunting seen a dog used for deer hunting run down and kill a deer. Why is it not OK to use GPS for deer dogs but it is for bear, raccoon and even rabbits? Most dogs used for deer hunting ARE trained to hunt deer. Just by your statements there is a question of how much you truly know about hunting deer with dogs and whether you have any actual experience in this area.
well since your directing this at ME???
I will reply and answer some things!

first off I never said I know a LOT about hunting deer with dogs
WHAT I DID SAY, was that, most dogs have the stamina to kill a deer by chasing it/running after it! ( they are not physically Killing the deer, they are killing it by byproduct of having run it past recovery!)
if you have never seen this or known of it, I question what YOU know about dogs and deer period, as its a well known FACT and again, why its legal to shoot dogs chasing deer in many many states! and why there are so many leash laws and likes in the books in many states!

NOW<
I have NEVER seen a DOG< do this to a BEAR or a raccoon, due to the simple FACT, they can climb a tree to get away from a dog

a deer on the other hand, doesn;t have that option, and its NOT the size of the dog, its the deer's instinct to RUN away, and they DON"T have the same stamina as MOST dogs do!
so DEER tend to run till they cannot run anymore, and to the point of total exhaustion and that can have stress and other health issue's that can cause them to NOT be able to recover from!
and FACT<
its typically the Instinct in a dog to chase things that run from them!
by nature, this happens,! and this is what and why most states don't allow free roam of PET DOGS!

SO< don't try bashing me for using dogs to hunt, when I said NOTHING bad against that side of things, , your BARKING up the wrong tree in trying to do so!

I gave FACTS< and I gave MY example about having witnessed a dog running deer cause its death and seen many many many more dogs running wild chasing deer
and again, stated its a FACT< that in MANY states it legal to SHOOT dogs chasing deer due to teh FACT they can cause death to deer by CHASING THEM!

NOW On to your complaint(I am gathering) about GPS use
I never even touched base on this subject period, so, why your accusing me of anything on thsi subject is beyond me

BUT since your throwing this at me, I will take a GUESS at this
very simple answer I can come up with why its NOT LEGAL to use when using dogs to hunt, is, simply, due to MOST states have LAWS about using electronics to hunt deer!
so, that would top my list
NEXT,
it might lead to an unfair advantage, as you will be able to monitor where there at and where there heading to CUT them off, making it less than FAIR CHASE!

and yes your 10% right, I have NEVER on purpose hunted deer with dogs, NOR do I plan to
I said it before in above posts, and will say AGAIN< in case you missed it!~

" IN places where its legal, I have NO complaint or issue about it being done!"
its not for me, but if legally done, have at it if it makes you happy!

I have also owned and trained a LOT of dogs over my life time, and have NEVER felt the den to use a GPS device on any of them, NOR would I want to

I However HAVE used a E collar, and MY ONLY reason for having used that was for a safety reason, to be able to BREAK a dogs attention, if focused too hard on game, than safety(like if pursuing a wings bird across a busy road way or like situation)
I have NEVER needed to use, it, but on some dogs less than well trained, I have had them trained to know what it is and was on them when hunting inn places of worry!

so I am ALSO NOT against using electronic's on a dog !
if legal, again, have at it!!

I

Last edited by mrbb; 05-13-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

The so called experts on here do not like to e questioned or proven wrong.

One does not like using a GPS collar but will use a shock, E collar, toforce a dog to do his wishes.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

One does not like using a GPS collar but will use a shock, E collar, toforce a dog to do his wishes.
The OP never said anything about GPS. He said he has a GSP (German Shorthair Pointer). Go back and read it again.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The so called experts on here do not like to e questioned or proven wrong.

One does not like using a GPS collar but will use a shock, E collar, to force a dog to do his wishes.
first off you ain;t proved anyone WRONG!( be it a SO CALLED EXPERT(and NOT sure where you think anyone said they were one??, so more of your OPINIONS and not acts)

and it sure sounds like you think YOUR an expert and only YOUR views matter, and you don;'t care about facts! or providing any to back any of your views up!

I have never used a E collar to FORCE a dog to do anything! too,, nor did I ever say I didn;t like using a GPS collar,??
maybe you need to try reading and comprehend what your reading better before trying to accuse anyone of anything, or ??

as I don;t recall anyone saying they force there dog to do anything here! or anyone saying they don't like a GPS collar!
I know I never did and all I ever did was explain the differences in WHY maybe a GPS collar is NOT allowed to be used in deer hunting, I actually took the time to give YOU an answer to a question you directed AT ME!
and NOT a bash or smart remark!, just an honest opinion of an answer! as I do NOT Know the exact LEGAL reason any state would NOT allow them, just gave MY opinon on possibly WHY!

and as stated, we were talking about GSP(German short hair pointers) not GPS's in the fist place with the OP's opening post in HIS Tread!

so, again your comprehension shills need a little work maybe before you decide to get all high and mighty!
maybe you just don't like the fact that some deer hunters have no desire to use a dog to hunt deer, or even maybe some dis like it( and I never said I did )

which again, just seems to make you out to have some very narrow views on things that don;t go YOUR way!

I am NOT perfect either and admit this,,. so have at it ! I'm sure you'll have something else to say! that isn;t helping the OP, as I have as well as others here have!

Last edited by mrbb; 05-14-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by railey
Does anyone use their dog to track/hunting deer? I have a GSP and was wondering what success anyone had with deer hunting and how to train your dog for that specific task...
I have hunted all manner of game with dogs like rabbit, squirrel, to deer and bear. But if you want to take your dogs with hunting then obviously the dog must be trained well.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm the one that brought up GPS collars, my thinking was back in the day when we'd do a group hunt and a dog would take out after a Deer (illegally here) we'd sometimes lose them for hours, days or even never to be seen again. I've found more than a few hung up in a thicket by their collars, they could have died in there, mostly luck finding them. We eventually got smart and used breakaway collars. I searched for one friends dog for days and then periodically for weeks and he was never found. I drove out every day, 3-4 times a day, looking for Vultures or Ravens. The thought of that dog hung up out there someplace dying of thirst or injury made me really sad.
Now many of the dogs have GPS collars, especially those prone to ignore their owner and take off. GPS trackers are relatively cheap now, good insurance IMO. Sometimes common sense and legality are in conflict, I usually side with common sense.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-17-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Guess I upset the so called experts. I don't care.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:46 AM
Spike

I always hunt with dogs =)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:21 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have a Draht, trained to blood trail. Blood trailing via a long lead and quick foot work.
She has found every deer we've been asked to help locate.
I've also used her on a few wounded turkeys.

JW