Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help getting started

Old 03-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that experience is the key to getting good at it. I can’t speak about the laws in Florida. But here you would be required to be with an adult until you are 16. Hunter’s Safety Courses are not required until you are 16. But, I also recommend taking them as well. As others have stated you may actually find someone that is willing to teach you about hunting when taking a course. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2020, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Good for you wanting to get involved in hunting! It is a lifetime sport, and the related skills can keep you outdoors all year round.
Can we ask what perked your interest? A friend, family member who hunts?
As mentioned, getting a hunter safety course in is very important. Start with the gun safety, but also take the bowhunting course. It has a lot of very useful skills that firearm courses don't really go into. For that matter, a trapping course does too...all are hunting, just different ways.
Don't underestimate reading and outdoors magazines for what they can teach you...just don't read one source and think it is the final authority.
Does your parents support you in this (I hope?) Would either one be willing to go to a safety course with you, or maybe learn the sport with you?
Do you have any family and friends that hunt that could help you? Here, it can be a tricky door....If you do not appear consistently mature and responsible, doors will be closed to you.
There are a lot of good hunting shows on , but many if not most are very "kill" oriented, which is not what the sport is about. My favorite is "Meat Eater". The host is very amiable, never promotes products, but shows tremendous respect and skill in his hunts...not all of which , like real life, are successful.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I taught myself to not only look but to see at a young age. A lot going on in a nature walk that many/most people never notice. Not all animals bolt when mankind shows up, many hunker down and hide. You may walk right past them. I walk grids and look for tracks, especially after a rain, learning to identify tracks is helpful when you go hunting.
A pair of binoculars can open up a whole new world if you learn to stay still and watch.
I hunted snakes, lizards, and Frogs before I ever picked up a rifle or bow.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of good advice. And a fun journey becoming a hunter.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I well remember, back in the early 1960s, being in a similar predicament, and the frustration linked to being broke and too young to be taken seriously,
Ive been thinking this thread over, obviously, with the current virus issues no one is likely to be looking to start socializing with strangers
and at your age (14) you've got both limited mobility (no way you legally own and drive a car/truck,) and finances, without a decent full time job,
as your obviously still in school, at that age, so that is a problem in acquiring equipment and of course theres the potential for any male adult thats not related to you,
that offers to teach you, to be looked at as a potential pedophile. even if thats not really an issue.
so Id suggests you concentrate for now on passing that hunter safety course and getting certified and reading up on and watching videos on the sport.
theres hundreds of good entertaining and informative books and videos
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Daveboone
Good for you wanting to get involved in hunting! It is a lifetime sport, and the related skills can keep you outdoors all year round.
Can we ask what perked your interest? A friend, family member who hunts?
As mentioned, getting a hunter safety course in is very important. Start with the gun safety, but also take the bowhunting course. It has a lot of very useful skills that firearm courses don't really go into. For that matter, a trapping course does too...all are hunting, just different ways.
Don't underestimate reading and outdoors magazines for what they can teach you...just don't read one source and think it is the final authority.
Does your parents support you in this (I hope?) Would either one be willing to go to a safety course with you, or maybe learn the sport with you?
Do you have any family and friends that hunt that could help you? Here, it can be a tricky door....If you do not appear consistently mature and responsible, doors will be closed to you.
There are a lot of good hunting shows on , but many if not most are very "kill" oriented, which is not what the sport is about. My favorite is "Meat Eater". The host is very amiable, never promotes products, but shows tremendous respect and skill in his hunts...not all of which , like real life, are successful.

Good luck!
what started my interest was fishing it’s what lead me to hunting.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

And fishing is hunting....for fish! Learning their cycles, where they feed, when they rest, patience, skills....all have parallels to hunting. Get those hunter safety classes in, but then remember, every time you are outdoors practice your skills of observation, patience. I drive my friends and family nuts, because be it driving, out for a walk, etc. I am constantly looking for animal sign or critters hiding just out of site, but there if you look. And patience is one of the most difficult of all hunting skills to learn, but easiest to initiate and apply. Good luck, I hope we were of some help but it is limiting without getting your parents approval/ support. I hope they enjoy fishing?
Old 05-01-2020, 04:09 AM
Spike

Here are a couple of opportunities to help get started with hunting skills - organized youth camps:

Georgia’s Department of Conservation offer’s several youth summer camps including the Shooting Sports Camp, during which campers get hands-on instruction in archery, shotgun, air rifle, and .22 rifle. Campers can also participate in a Youth Hunter Education (YEH) Challenge, which qualifies them to participate in the state YEH.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission offers the Ocala Youth Camp which provides campers with the necessary skills and knowledge to become better sportsmen and women, while instilling an awareness of firearm safety and wildlife stewardship. In addition to hunter safety, all campers will enjoy fishing, canoeing, swimming, hiking, and many other outdoor activities.

Good Luck .....GREAT to see we still have kids think about something other than x-box ...

Note: I also tried to add the links for you, but It seems I can't post them since I am still new to the forum.....Just Google