Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food plot tiny

Old 03-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree that alfalfa and clover die after the first hard frost. Illinois whitetail will paw through snow to eat alfalfa and clover. I suspect that is true for 90% of the farmbelt whitetails. Maybe Vermont and other northern state whitetails are different.

Best bet for the OP is to collect at least one soil sample (two will be better) then visit the local seed dealer (farm service). Tests are about $10 each. Put soil in a clean bag or jar. No need to buy on line. The seed dealer should be able to ship the soil for testing. Once the sample results are provided, the seed dealer should be able to interpret the results and recommend proper fertilizer and soil pH adjustment, if necessary. Generally, it is a combination of potash and lime. Be prepared to tell dealer what you are considering to plant. Any established dealer has done this for others.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I disagree that alfalfa and clover die after the first hard frost. Illinois whitetail will paw through snow to eat alfalfa and clover. I suspect that is true for 90% of the farmbelt whitetails. Maybe Vermont and other northern state whitetails are different.

Best bet for the OP is to collect at least one soil sample (two will be better) then visit the local seed dealer (farm service). Tests are about $10 each. Put soil in a clean bag or jar. No need to buy on line. The seed dealer should be able to ship the soil for testing. Once the sample results are provided, the seed dealer should be able to interpret the results and recommend proper fertilizer and soil pH adjustment, if necessary. Generally, it is a combination of potash and lime. Be prepared to tell dealer what you are considering to plant. Any established dealer has done this for others.
alfalfa and clover does NOT die after a heavy frost or any frost, BUT it does go dormant, and this is a FACT< and it does it ever where, temps drop in winter time, and that typically is in MOST places it is grown in, from Nov to about April!
Alfalfa is also very vulnerable to winter injury, which can happen when temps get low and can cause very poor recovery come spring time
its also a much higher maintenance crop to grow period!
and it will very strongly compete with other crops often making them unable to grow near it!

however, YES deer will still eat it (clover too)if they can get any, but it will pucker up and curl up like and will NOT keep growing /replacing what they ate!(in winter time)
so, its not really that great of a later season crop
and BOTH o these seeds are typically a higher costing seed, all the more so when you buy from a so called DEER marketed seed company's seeds!

again, soil test tells you what will or won;'t grow, and its the place you start before talking what seeds to plant!
Old 03-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default thank you all

thanks this has been very helpful i’ll keep y’all posted