Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I' m taken my dad hunting!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Default I' m taken my dad hunting!

I' m heading out in 6 hours for a very welcomed break. I' m gonna spend 3 days in Arkansas with my brother and father chasing whitetails.

I' m really keyed up right now. This hunt has been a long time comming. My dad hasn' t hunted in 15 years. I' ve tried for years to get him out with me deer hunting, duck hunting, dove.... it didnt' matter but he always found a reason not to go. He had some personal issues about hunting to overcome and I fully understand. He had some very negative experiences on a trip to Colorado that took his passion away.

Well, I figured that I owed him for getting me started in hunting and giving me my passion as well as all the wonderful memories of us together. So, I decided this was the year.

I put a lot of effort into getting the ball rolling. I bought him a new 30-06 a while back. That got him shooting again. Then everytime I went to the field I took my son who is 8. I always do but in each case now I had him call grandpa and ask him to go. Worked like a charm. Name a grandpa out there that can resist and invite to see his grandson shot or scout around the woods. Well, slowly grandpa got his passion back and we' re heading to the field.

The other night my father told me how much he appreciated me giving him back his love of hunting and that was the greatest complement I have ever received. It still chokes me up thinking about it.

Wish me luck, although the hunt is already a success and I' ll see ya soon!

Yahooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:54 AM

Default RE: I' m taken my dad hunting!

Hey txbowjunkie,

Good Luck Hunting man, I wish my dad could have gone hunting deer with me now. When I was a kid, he would take me hunting woodchuck in VT. We never did get one but I sure don' t forget the times we went. My dad passed away in ' 99 so he never got a chance to go hunting with me, plus he was in a bad accident in ' 95 which almost completely disabled him. I started deer hunting that next year so we never went. Anyway, enjoy your time in the woods with dad and son and I hope you get one.

Tomster
Old 11-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Matriarch Doe!

That is so great!!!Both that you brought your Dad back to hunting, and that now your son will have memories of hunting with his Grandpa! Precious things! And God knows you deserve a break this year, especially. I hope you three guys have an absolute blast! Good luck and hunt safe!
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 AM

Congrats on getting your dad back in the hunting groove. The grandson tactic works every time. I have a seven-year-old grandson - if he asked me to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, I' d happily comply ...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:24 AM

That is a heart warming story. I know the Good Creator will bring forth many a happy memory for you this weekend as you hunt that elusive white tail.

That is what it is all about isn' t it? Getting with family &/or close friends to spend time out in the deer woods, enjoying everything in its most natural form? Man, it is really difficult to explain to a non-hunter, but each of us knows that there is no feeling like watching the Southern outdoors awake around you on a cool November morn.

Have fun, my friend. What a blessing.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:28 PM

Hope you guys have a real good time. I lost my dad back in 1985 when I was 15yrs old and I would give anything to be able to spend time with him now that I am an adult.

Your never to old to tell your Dad you love him.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck with our dad theres nothing like a father and son hunt.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 PM

That is awsome, my father got me started, and one of the things I love the most is being able to share my hunting with him and my son, my wife is more a picture taker, but comes out with me once in awhile, and my 8 year old daughter is anxious, but not quite ready yet.
Good luck to all of you, I hope you have an excellant time.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:37 PM

i wish i could go hunting with my dad more often, we went pheasant hunting last year and that was the first time we ever went hunting together, my parents got divorced when i was at a early age and he lives 3 hours and astate away so its hard to get time to do stuff like that together.congrats on getting your dad back into the swing of things and good luck on the upcoming hunt