Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best Trophy Free Range/Fair Chase Ranch? >

Best Trophy Free Range/Fair Chase Ranch?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Trophy Free Range/Fair Chase Ranch?

Old 02-21-2020, 06:34 PM
CTW
Spike

Thumbs up Best Trophy Free Range/Fair Chase Ranch?

Hi all.
Long time whitetail hunter from GA but first time ever posting to a forum! I figured I could spend weeks trying to figure things out on my own...or I could ask everyone here!

I'm looking for a 2020 whitetail hunt on a free range/fair chase ranch anywhere in the lower 48 that has proven to consistently produce trophy +160 class deer. I had the pleasure of hunting up in Alberta at North River Outfitters this past Thanksgiving week. It was my first time hunting with an outfitter and I had a blast! I shot a nice 8 on my last day, but nothing like the monster one of the other guys shot, which scored 207. There are absolute monsters up there, but I firmly believe there are equally big monsters in the lower 48. Having to go through customs, etc was just a pain to get to Alberta, which is why I am hoping to find something in the lower 48.

I've been researching and found the following ranches that seem to produce monsters; however, I can't tell if they're high fence or not. I am not interested in hunting high fence. No offense to others that do, but it's just not my cup of tea.

If you know of any others please let me know, but here's what I've found so far. Anyone have any experience with these places?
Johnson Ranch
Hash Knife
La Violeta
Novillos Ranch
Rocking Chair Ranch
Laredo Ortiz Ranch
Chain Ranch
Charco Marranno

Thank you for the advice!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

You could check the Hunts/Outfitters section of the Classified forum here (see below) for information about outfitters and hunts. There's a sub-forum within that forum for outfitter and hunt reviews. It's also searchable if you're just looking for info on a specific outfitter/hunt. There's a mix of positive and negative reviews.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunts-outfitters-57/

On for your list of possible ranches above, I'm assuming you've already done some type of search to see if they're a high fence ranches or not. Most (but not all) high fence operations tend to not advertise that aspect up front or on the internet. You will likely have to send them an email and simply ask. If they don't respond, that's probably not going to be promising either way. If they do, you'll possibly gain a source of information in that area. Even if they're a high fence outfit, they may be able to point you in the direction for what you're looking for in their area.

Another option is to attend a hunting expo in your region. Most of the expos have a website and you can do some research on outfitters that have displays at that particular expo. If you go to the expo, however, you can meet those outfitters and ask them about high fences while seeing if they're possibly somebody you'd want to do a hunt with. I realize this isn't an easy or simple answer like "go on this hunt with this outfitter" but those answers aren't always the best answer since you may want something different than the person offering the recommendation. Only you know what kind of hunt will work for you which is especially important when you're the one spending big $$ on the hunt. Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

any free range ranch is going to be a gamble, to a point, some that have baiting allowed will be higher more consistent odds IMO

but that comes with the question of if your ok with shooting one over bait or near it!
and I honestly DON"T think there is BEST place
there are many that have huge amounts of land they manage in extremely high cost ways that ensure there are deer of the size your after, but weather, and other factors can cause percentages to have highs and lows!

the best advice if sicne its your money , =make phone calls and ask questions that matter to you and hunting types that matter to YOU

what I like, or dis like, maybe different than what you like

and then there is also deer size issue's that can matter to you or not

is tolerant size ALL you care about
as there is IMO a HUGE difference when you have a 160' set of antlers on a 120 lbs buck as to the same 160 inch antlers on a 300+ lb buck
time of yr you harvest the animal can also matter you want summer coat, or winter, you want thin necks, or swollen one's from the rut side of things??

do you want to HUNT< or sit in a comfortable blind and SHOOT a deer?
as I said, lots of things that can matter or NOT to you, maybe different to me??

and a LOT of great OUTFITTERS are NOT Ranches period!
so only looking at Ranches, might cause you to miss out on a lot of options!

as hunting is hunting, and shooting is shooting
there two different things
HOW bad you want a 160?

Last edited by mrbb; 02-23-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 160” Whitetail is a GREAT deer. Any place promising you a 160” that’s fair chase isn’t being honest. Of the ranches you listed the only one I have heard of is the Hash Knife. Is that in Kansas?

I would look in Iowa. Again, a 160 isn’t behind every tree but Iowa has their fair share. I hunted Iowa in 2017 and saw chasing, grunting bucks every day. I even saw a mid 170s buck at about 200 yards. It was a super fun DIY hunt on a friends farm. I took a 126” 5.5 year old 9pt. A far cry from a 160”, but still a mature buck.

You should check on recent EHD and Blue Tongue breakouts where ever you decide to hunt. I know the Midwest keeps getting hit with these diseases every few years and it kills mature bucks. Be careful.

Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails Best Trophy Free Range/Fair Chase Ranch?-f3592ee8-e024-463c-bba9-ea683d03817a.jpeg  

Last edited by Rob in VT; 02-22-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

That's a nice buck Rob!
Old 02-22-2020, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Cal! My largest archery buck to date.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 AM
CTW
Spike

Thank you for the tips!
Old 02-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a question but are you of the mind set that a 160 buck is any better than a 150 or even a 140 buck? In the end what does a couple of inches of antler really mean? If the buck is fairly taken and you're proud of him, score matters little. I have never been able to wrap my head around the fascination on scoring antlers.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Just a question but are you of the mind set that a 160 buck is any better than a 150 or even a 140 buck?

Yes, by the tone of your question..... 160" is better than a 150". You mentioned sizes, 160 is better than 150 when antler size is the measuring stick.

In the end what does a couple of inches of antler really mean?
​​​​​​
Nothing to me and you, but not everybody hunts for the reasons we hunt. This is the USA still right?

​​​​​​buck is fairly taken and you're proud of him, score matters little.
unless it matters allot. Either way is fine. It really is. I don't even require a person to be "proud of him" I've taken many deer I'm proud of. I've taken many deer that are nuisance critters and that I considered 'work.' I've taken deer because the freezer was empty. I've taken deer when the freezer was full and donated them. I've taken deer cause I wanted to, I've taken them when I didn't really wanted to but needed to. There
are many motivations. Mine doesn't have to be yours.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the fascination on scoring antlers.
it's possibly that you do things that someone else somewhere "can't wrap their head around" and that's ok.

-Jake
Old 02-23-2020, 06:10 PM
CTW
Spike

Fair question, Flags.
Yes, I do think a 160 is better than a 150...just like a 170 B&C is better than a 160. In my perfect world I'd love nothing more than to get a B&C on the wall, but I know that's pretty much a fantasy; however, a 160 is attainable. it's a stretch, but it's attainable. The largest I've ever got is a mid 140 class buck and I'm super proud of him. I don't have any other serious hobbies, but I have friends that are big golfers, other friends that are huge bass fishermen, etc. So, for them it would be like shooting under 70 in golf or catching a 12 lb bass. Whatever your passion is most people have some high level bar set that that they hope to achieve. For me a +160 is just a dream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.