HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What’s your longest hike in ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/422646-what-s-your-longest-hike.html)

Jhogan2007 01-26-2020 07:14 AM

What’s your longest hike in ?

What the farthest you have walked to get to your stand ?

Erno86 01-26-2020 10:11 AM

In some cases...at least a mile.

How bout' you?

Fyrstyk54 01-26-2020 12:11 PM

My stand is 1.35 miles from where I can park my truck. I try to leave the truck by 5:15 AM to get there by dawn. I have taken quite a few deer over the years from this stand, but it is a morning stand only. Repeated stays in the PM have not resulted in any deer seen.

billyboy 01-26-2020 01:07 PM

300to 500 yards .

mrbb 01-26-2020 02:10 PM

my longest was little over a 4 mile walk in, which was Nothing as to the drag out!

have countless set up well over a mile
but will admit as I got older I have found I prefer stands that are way closer, and mostly now only hunt places I can recover things with an atv, too old for packing or dragging deer anymore!

hardcastonly 01-26-2020 04:25 PM

my dad used to have a saying....".if your going to be DUMB you better be TOUGH!"
I back packed a climbing tree stand into elk country about a mile and up and down about 1700 ft in elevation,
and as stated, dragging both an elk and a tree stand out and up out of a canyon over 5 trips put an end to that idea after one experience,

DJfan 01-27-2020 05:31 AM

Well over a mile this last elk season. Altitude went down a few hundred feet, then up quite a few hundred feet. Still didn't get one.

Oldtimr 01-27-2020 06:03 AM

Probably at least three miles hunting elk in 2018. Most of my deer hunting was well under a mile.

t.shaffer 01-27-2020 08:57 AM

a few years back about 2 miles. killed a deer every time back there due to nobody but me & a hunting buddy went that far. took a sled with us all the time .

Erno86 01-27-2020 11:08 AM

One of my hunting partner's longest trek to his stand --- is ten feet --- from his bed to his bedroom window.:lmao:

Mickey Finn 01-27-2020 06:18 PM

If we count bear stands I have a funny story. I had a spot set up which was less than 100 yards from where I could park my truck. This was on national forest land where they had been doing some logging. Shortly after I established the bait and hung a camera. The forest service did what they do best. They bermed up the two track and gifted me with a 1 1/2 mile haul to my best bait station.

Elkkhunter 03-07-2020 04:17 PM

Walked 2miles

Daveboone 03-08-2020 03:52 AM

Whitetail deer hunting, we used to walk in about a mile. In more recent years with better grounds and access, maybe 1/2 mile to 1/3 mile furthest. I am certainly more concerned with getting it out of the woods as I get older.
Moose hunting we walked in about 3-4 miles. Bear hunting I have walked up to about a mile to our stands.

flags 03-08-2020 07:33 AM

My longest hikes for game have not been to a stand. I did a backpack Mountain Goat hunt in CO in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area. Lived out of a backpack for about 2 weeks until I filled the tag. Have no idea how many miles I walked. I once shot a nice 5x5 bull elk that went down 7 miles from the trailhead. Took 4 trips to get that elk to the truck. I hunted Western Roan in Cameroon once and that was all spot and stalk. We got the Roan on the 6th day and I have no idea how many miles of African grassland we covered. And lets not even talk about the miles spent after Bighorn Sheep, Stone Sheep, whitetails on the prairies and spot and stalk black bear. But then I have never been a stand hunter, I'd rather walk my game up as long as I am healthy enough to do so.