Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What’s your longest hike in ? >

What’s your longest hike in ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What’s your longest hike in ?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If we count bear stands I have a funny story. I had a spot set up which was less than 100 yards from where I could park my truck. This was on national forest land where they had been doing some logging. Shortly after I established the bait and hung a camera. The forest service did what they do best. They bermed up the two track and gifted me with a 1 1/2 mile haul to my best bait station.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:17 PM
Spike

Walked 2miles
Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

Whitetail deer hunting, we used to walk in about a mile. In more recent years with better grounds and access, maybe 1/2 mile to 1/3 mile furthest. I am certainly more concerned with getting it out of the woods as I get older.
Moose hunting we walked in about 3-4 miles. Bear hunting I have walked up to about a mile to our stands.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

My longest hikes for game have not been to a stand. I did a backpack Mountain Goat hunt in CO in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area. Lived out of a backpack for about 2 weeks until I filled the tag. Have no idea how many miles I walked. I once shot a nice 5x5 bull elk that went down 7 miles from the trailhead. Took 4 trips to get that elk to the truck. I hunted Western Roan in Cameroon once and that was all spot and stalk. We got the Roan on the 6th day and I have no idea how many miles of African grassland we covered. And lets not even talk about the miles spent after Bighorn Sheep, Stone Sheep, whitetails on the prairies and spot and stalk black bear. But then I have never been a stand hunter, I'd rather walk my game up as long as I am healthy enough to do so.