Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

my closest shot ever

Old 02-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default my closest shot ever

what is the closest shot u have ever taken with the gun. yesterday we show up to hunt to find that the 2 stand we were gonna hunt out of were taken, so i took the 1st stand, a ground blind 100 yards from the road for the 74 year-old that hunts with us. as i sat, i didnt expect to see anything, so i was watching the squirrels. i just happened to looke back and catch a glimpse of an approaching deer. as i got my gun up, i looked up to see a small doe looking at me from the trail i used to get to the stand. she looked at me for 2 minutes and then walked directly away from me and circled down wind. my "real scents" curiosity scent got his attention and he walked to ten yards with his nose in the air. when he turned broadside to me, i fired and the 20 gauge slug knocked down the button buck. i almost took another shot at a bigger doe, but i decided that dragging one deer was enough. i paced it out and the deer was standing at 12 yards broadside, my closest shot ever.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:46 AM

Default RE: my closest shot ever

The first buck I ever shot, was about at 6 yards off. Didn't think it was too big a deal at the time, unitl my father let me know how unusual that is. I was 12, and the deer approached me from behind, quartering away right to left. It was dry, and I heard the leaves cracking under its feet before I seen the animal. I thought it was another squirrel, so I wasn't too excited until it passed my tree that I was sitting at the bottom of about three yards away! Then I froze and started to get nervous, the deer walked directly in front of me, and I placed the shot right behind the left shoulder. It went about 15 yards before it fell. I don't know why, but ever since then I have been lucky at taking deer and turkey both at close range. Most of my turkeys that I have taken have been within 20 yards, due tho the fact that I set the decoys up at 10 yards.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

About 5 yards I was sitting behind a cedar tree and the deer walked up and stopped right on the other side of the tree.When I shot the slug gun I seen thru the whole it made before it fell.And I just got done eating a piece of Stromboli??????? Italian Deer????????
Old 02-03-2002, 11:53 AM

The closest shot i've made was about 5 yards on a button buck. I've had deer even closer but passed on them. I could see the eyelashes on those two. It was cool because as soon as I shot I could see the hair split behind the shoulder.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:59 AM

hey i have a question for you guys who shot those button bucks close like that.. could you see the buttons on the deers head when you shot? i shot one last week at like 20 yards and i had a scope and i had no idea it was a button buck...
Old 02-03-2002, 12:30 PM

Never any closer than 20 yards with a rifle...but have shot a nice 8 pointer at seven steps with my compound.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My closest was about 7 yards away. Nice little spike.Could almost see the powder burn on him LOL.Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-03-2002, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2002, 04:13 PM

I shot almost straight down to kill one a while back with a rifle. The deer fell 3 steps from my tree.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:31 PM

10 ft. I was in a 10' ladder stand and shot stright down,with my bow.this happen two times in my life.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Quick Reply: my closest shot ever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.