Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Question about this year's 12 pointer >

Question about this year's 12 pointer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about this year's 12 pointer

Old 12-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Spike

Default Question about this year's 12 pointer

I've been watching a buck for past 4 years on my property and this year he has a huge rack. He is 5 1/2 y/o this year and he has a 12 points with rack that spread beyond his ears. For a Florida deer he is absolutely a giant. I had a chance or two to take him this year but I let him pass as I've enjoyed watching him chase does and hoping he is passing his gene to next generation.
The question I have is how he will fare next year. Will he have even bigger rack? Will he be as healthy and majestic as he is this year? I've often heard that once the buck reaches his peak following year is a disappointment.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only the Good Lord knows what he will be next year.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

With some luck...he could have one or two more growth years before an age decline.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

That’s a question that no one knows the answer to. There’s a lot of variables in the equation. Like the food and competition for it. Mostly though he should have another year or two left in him. All you can do is wait until next year to find out..
Old 01-02-2020, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Admirable that you let him walk. I once enjoyed hunting a certain buck with my bow and never could quite get in the right spot but enjoyed the hunt. When gun season came around and I did have a shot, I just couldn't take it. Lots of other deer around for the freezer. I hope you get to see him again. It's good for the soul.