Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mistakes Were Made

Old 12-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default Mistakes Were Made

Hello,
I was hunting yesterday and I had a doe pop out at 20 yards. This year I have seen more deer than ever, I have spent roughly 4 full days in a tree or two. I drew back on this doe and she didn’t present a shot I felt comfortable taking. When she did fully enter the clear cut she didn’t have a clue I was above her. She is a old doe I’ve had multiple encounters with with a very weird shrunken and blind eye. I was excited at the opportunity and released at 30 yards! She took off with the tracer sticking out of her hams on both sides. I couldn’t believe my shot! I thought she was frozen and content... my arm was straight and the string never snapped against my arm! She had taken 1-2 steps. I had learned from my previous mistake from that stand on letting a shoulder shot doe run out of my life! I chased he as she ran low and I saw her whole hind end was soaked in blood and I had a very strong blood trail! I followed it until the neighbors land. I later rewarded the trail of blood and found more as I was paying more attention! I am not sure but I think I must’ve clipped an artery as the blood trail was both splatters all over I could see the blood thick in someone’s yard and I think she had to bleed out with how much blood she lost and considering she had to have walked a full mile or two! I am contemplating going and asking but that could hit a soft spot too! Is it worth it? Any Tips or advice?
Old 12-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Spike

Here’s the blood
Attached Thumbnails Mistakes Were Made-0b019285-065f-4df5-bc73-3317df6d3d5d.jpeg  
Old 12-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by YOUG BUCK
Here’s the blood
It bleed like this the whole time literally! She was soaked on her hind end when I last saw her and she was running low! I think she maybe crashed several times!
Old 12-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

That doesn't look like arterial bleeding, although if I were you I would asked every property owner for permission to look until I lost the blood.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That doesn't look like arterial bleeding, although if I were you I would asked every property owner for permission to look until I lost the blood.
thank you sir! I’ll do so!
Old 12-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes I too would try everything I could to recover, and honestly its sort of your job to do so
wanton waste is in most rule books and requires a hunter to make all efforts possible to recover a shot deer!
worst that can happen IMO< is land owners say no!
if you DO find it, or SEE it dead some place where they say NO< you can also TRY and get your local game warden involved, , some times them asking JUST for recovery will be granted over JUST you as a hunter, NOT always, but , again, all they can say is no
so would be worth it to me to try all things possible!
Old 12-26-2019, 05:26 AM
Spike

Default F

Originally Posted by mrbb
yes I too would try everything I could to recover, and honestly its sort of your job to do so
wanton waste is in most rule books and requires a hunter to make all efforts possible to recover a shot deer!
worst that can happen IMO< is land owners say no!
if you DO find it, or SEE it dead some place where they say NO< you can also TRY and get your local game warden involved, , some times them asking JUST for recovery will be granted over JUST you as a hunter, NOT always, but , again, all they can say is no
so would be worth it to me to try all things possible!
THANK YOU! YES I WILL DO SOME TALKING TODAY OR FRIDAY! THANK YOU I NEVER THOUGHT THAT IF SAW IT I COULD CALL THE WARDEN! THANKS AGAIN

-YOUNG BUCK
Old 12-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might have hit one or two of the femoral artery's --- which is a dead deer down the road --- How long she might have run before bedding down and perishing by a femoral hit...is a good question.

A deer can do a 180 by the time the arrow is released, and the time it gets to the target.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YOUG BUCK

THANK YOU! YES I WILL DO SOME TALKING TODAY OR FRIDAY! THANK YOU I NEVER THOUGHT THAT IF SAW IT I COULD CALL THE WARDEN! THANKS AGAIN

-YOUNG BUCK
your welcome,
, but keep in mind a dead deer isn;t meant to stay dead with its guts inside for long periods of time, so time is sort of important here, you need to be looking for it ASAP>
when planning a hunt you also need to have a plan to recover if things run off, its all part of being a ethical and good hunter!

this is also why many hunter s ask about recovering a deer off neighboring properties in advance of HUNTING SEASON< so, IF it happens, they are not behind the 8 ball , and having to rush to get access or??
its also a great way to get to know the local land owners and them you, some times can even lead to more land access to hunt
or if nothing gels,e it gets you a feel for what MIGHT happen if need be

as what would you do if this was a HUGE buck, over being a doe(since so many these days put more effort into big bucks than doe)
wouldn;t you like to know you could go after and NOT have to leave it to rot or be wasted, or someone else recovering it??
these are all lessons I have learned over the yrs,
its good to have a plan B for when things don't happen perfectly and trust me in hunting, anything can happen , deer don't always drop in sight or on the land you have permission to ONLY be on!
and not all states have the same laws allowing you to recover or not?
so best as they know ahead of time , never hurts to ask ! IMO, LOL

best of lick finding it and report back what happens here either way!
Old 12-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86
You might have hit one or two of the femoral artery's --- which is a dead deer down the road --- How long she might have run before bedding down and perishing by a femoral hit...is a good question.

A deer can do a 180 by the time the arrow is released, and the time it gets to the target.
That was not femoral bleeding or arterial bleeding for that matter. If you ever saw arterial bleeding you would know that it does not look like that. The deer would not have made it anywhere nearly as far as the op tracked it with arterial bleeding.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-26-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.