HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Keen eyes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/422408-keen-eyes.html)

Cabohunter 12-24-2019 07:01 AM

Keen eyes

Starting a new game for spot and stalkers...thinking of names that relate to having good eye sight...where I’m from we call them “bush eyes” because guides and ranchers that spend time in the bush get very good at spotting game with their naked eye...what do you call this ability where you hunt?

mrbb 12-24-2019 07:29 AM

I cannot honestly vote to your above poll
and its due to it would come down to WHERE I was hunting and using spot and stalk method

in places where I still hunt, which is a form of spot and stalk IMO< I would want even lower power optic' due to things would be thick and close

yet if I was hunting in more wider open area's I would want a higher power optic, to about 10x say, and often times would be carrying a spotting scope of a LOT more power! befor I go after anything far off,
No point in walking far to find out its NOT truly what you want!

SO IMO< where your at and how the terrain is, determines what glass I would use

most times in life there is NO one tool does it all
its more about a different tool for every job!
if you have the means and want to do the job the easiest /best way!
and then there is what everyone LIKES best

not all of us have the same vision powers, either!

Oldtimr 12-24-2019 11:35 AM

20-20 and 20-15.

Cabohunter 12-24-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4367376)
I cannot honestly vote to your above poll
and its due to it would come down to WHERE I was hunting and using spot and stalk method

in places where I still hunt, which is a form of spot and stalk IMO< I would want even lower power optic' due to things would be thick and close

yet if I was hunting in more wider open area's I would want a higher power optic, to about 10x say, and often times would be carrying a spotting scope of a LOT more power! befor I go after anything far off,
No point in walking far to find out its NOT truly what you want!

SO IMO< where your at and how the terrain is, determines what glass I would use

most times in life there is NO one tool does it all
its more about a different tool for every job!
if you have the means and want to do the job the easiest /best way!
and then there is what everyone LIKES best

not all of us have the same vision powers, either!

what would you call a hunter with a very keen eye for spotting game ?

Oldtimr 12-24-2019 02:35 PM

Someone with a valuable ability for a hunter. I have seen people who couldn't spot game, deer, rabbits etc with a spotting scope no matter how close. Seeing game in it's habitat is a skill that not everyone has, no matte if they are using optic or not.

Cabohunter 12-24-2019 03:18 PM

Is there a term for that ability to spot game even without a scope ?

Oldtimr 12-24-2019 03:52 PM

Yeah, good and experienced!

CalHunter 12-25-2019 10:57 AM

"Good eye" on a term. As for the binocular size, mrbb makes a good point. A guy in a lot of brush wants something with a smaller magnification but not too small of an objective lens. If most of your glassing is at less than 200-300 yards, it 's hard to go wrong with an 8x42. 10X is usually for longer distance viewing. Now if you're scanning an entire side of a mountain, you might want something bigger like a 12x or 15x with a tripod. I don't think I would ever use a 10x25 as it doesn't sound like it's well balanced or thought out.

Champlain Islander 12-25-2019 01:42 PM

20-15 after Lasik but even great eyesight doesn't spot game. Being able to see animals like deer in the wild is an acquired skill. I used to spend a lot of time still hunting in typical New England terrain so I had to learn what to look for and where. Rarely do you spot a deer before it sees you if you are looking for a whole deer. Picking up a leg, twitch of an ear, a bit of white out of place or the line of a back is something that catches my eye. Basically I am looking for parts of a deer or something that doesn't go with the view I am seeing. Once you get it dialed in the deer seem to just pop up. I use a pair of 8 X 32 and 10 X 42 depending on how thick the woods are for spotting. When you go slow and glass ahead sometimes you see those deer parts pretty easily.