HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   White substance on whitetail deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/422348-white-substance-whitetail-deer.html)

[email protected] 12-14-2019 08:26 PM

White substance on whitetail deer

1 Attachment(s)
Today my dad and I got our first whitetail buck, we got it gutted and began to skin it. When skinning on the underside of one of the hind legs near the reproductive organs we hit a spot where slightly off white puss looking stuff came out from just under the skin. We weren’t sure what it is so I thought i would see if anyone knew, thanks

Bocajnala 12-14-2019 08:41 PM

Looks like puss to me. An injury, infection of some type. Did it stink?
-Jake

[email protected] 12-14-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4366617)
Looks like puss to me. An injury, infection of some type. Did it stink?
-Jake

there was no smell and we could find no sign of an injury either, was told it could have something to do with scent glands/rut

Bocajnala 12-14-2019 10:16 PM

I've never seen that, and wouldn't say it's normal.

You won't always be able to see an injury. Could have been clipped by a broad head, run into a Barb on a fence, who knows what. And developed a puss pocket in there.

-Jake

Daveboone 12-15-2019 05:13 AM

The surrounding tissues certainly don't look inflamed , like a source of infection, otherwise it looks like...pus. It may have had an injury that is resolved, and it is residual drainage, but usually that much pus will STINK!. Certainly nothing to worry about.

[email protected] 12-15-2019 05:25 AM

Thank you for the input we weren’t sure what is was and wanting to make sure it wasn’t a major thing to worry about

toytruck 12-16-2019 07:22 AM

My son shot his first deer (8 Point) several years ago now. We noticed a soft ball size knot on one shoulder. I tried to skin around it, but still managed to open it an green clumpy crud came out, it didn't stink. First thing I thought of was a broadhead was in there, but nope. Since it was located on the shoulder we threw it away. The rest of the deer was just fine with no issues. Deer can get wounded like said above by several means an this was an old wound that caused a cyst, from what I have read the cyst would eventually dissolve. This is the first an only time I have seen this. I wouldn't eat any meat in the immediate area of that substance, the rest of the deer should be good, just make sure the meat is well done before eating.

GOOD OLE BOY 12-16-2019 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=toytruck;4366708]My son shot his first deer (8 Point) several years ago now. We noticed a soft ball size knot on one shoulder. I tried to skin around it, but still managed to open it an green clumpy crud came out, it didn't stink. First thing I thought of was a broadhead was in there, but nope. Since it was located on the shoulder we threw it away. The rest of the deer was just fine with no issues. Deer can get wounded like said above by several means an this was an old wound that caused a cyst, from what I have read the cyst would eventually dissolve. This is the first an only time I have seen this. I wouldn't eat any meat in the immediate area of that substance, the rest of the deer should be good, just make sure the meat is well done before eating.[/QUOTE

The one thing I would be concerned in your Deers case Toy is that the bad infection your Deer had would have been passin thru the complete blood stream of the Deer.

toytruck 12-18-2019 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=GOOD OLE BOY;4366763]

Originally Posted by toytruck (Post 4366708)
My son shot his first deer (8 Point) several years ago now. We noticed a soft ball size knot on one shoulder. I tried to skin around it, but still managed to open it an green clumpy crud came out, it didn't stink. First thing I thought of was a broadhead was in there, but nope. Since it was located on the shoulder we threw it away. The rest of the deer was just fine with no issues. Deer can get wounded like said above by several means an this was an old wound that caused a cyst, from what I have read the cyst would eventually dissolve. This is the first an only time I have seen this. I wouldn't eat any meat in the immediate area of that substance, the rest of the deer should be good, just make sure the meat is well done before eating.[/QUOTE

The one thing I would be concerned in your Deers case Toy is that the bad infection your Deer had would have been passin thru the complete blood stream of the Deer.

Very true! He ate it an other than acting like his mother as times...seem to be OK...
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife...osis/index.asp