Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

No blood trail

Old 11-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default No blood trail

Hey guys,

I am hunting my grandfather property as I always do every year. This morning I saw a huge 8 pointer chasing a doe about 30 yards from me. Once he stopped I took a shot with my 30-30. It looked like I hit him and I was almost sure I did and he took of running and I watched him as far as I could see. I thought I heard something drop also. When I went up to look for blood the doe was still hanging around. I couldn't find any blood! Have any of you had an experience where there’s no blood trail? Just wondering if I should take another look.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Of course you should go back and look again, you may have only been feet from a blood trail. A 30 yard shot should result in a dead deer. If you thought you heard something drop, you probably did, they don't always drop like you pole axed them. I have had heart shot deer fo almost 100 yards. Get back there and find your deer.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot and seen many deer get shot and NOT leave a blood trail, some never did, , some it took a while for it to start leaking up
so, yes 100% you should be out looking NOW<
try and follow the path it ran and to where you last seen it, and search from there out in grid search patterns
if you know anyone with a deer tracking dog, or know of folks in your area that ofer the services, call them FIRST and take them with you, a dog will find things WAY better than a human will!
and there worth the costs when ecovering a deer IMO, if needed!
Old 11-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yep you probably have a dead deer. They don't always bleed and they can cover some distance without a pump

-Jake
Old 11-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope he comes back and reports if he found the deer.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

hopefully its cold out where hes hunting. it can lay out all night without spoiling.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I hope he comes back and reports if he found the deer.
so after tracking it very carefully, it all led to a cornfield. I have searched as much as I can of the field but haven’t found anything.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Did you ever find blood? Hair? Any sign of a hit?

If so search the edges of the field all the way around to see if the blood exits. If it doesn't exit you'll have to walk the field carefully. Might want to check with the owner before doing that and be very careful and respectful of the crops.

If no blood, a grid search is about all you can do.

-Jake
Old 11-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Yep you probably have a dead deer. They don't always bleed and they can cover some distance without a pump

-Jake
Plus one on this. The buck I got this year did not have a blood trail until laying down. I had a solid shot, clipping some of the heart. Luckily I had film footage and reviewed the shot, even though I was 100% sure I hit him. Luckily for me I found him laying 40 yards from where I last seen him. It's not fun just walking blindly. I've trailed enough animals and they almost always stay the same course once wounded. I will say he went through some of the thickest stuff he could find.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

You owe it to that animal & go out & grid search for him & look for any kind of clue. If your 100% sure you shot & hit him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.